Best way to clean bottom of pond!

Reaction score
I bought a house and inherited a koi pond. I have had it for a couple of years but have never cleaned out bottom of pond. Does this need to be done and if so what is the best way to do this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Depends on how dirty. Usually a net works fine. If deep pool nets work very good. Vacuums work but has risk sucking up things that are in the muck. If extremely dirty then a drain out and cleaning maybe needed, I would avoid this method and do only as a last resort.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a swimming pool net and do it slowly with a crate in the water fall with quilt batting in it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Dwaynen66 to the GPF! Looks like you joined a while back but we're happy to "see" a new face!

A few more details about your pond would be helpful - how big, how deep, how many gallons, how many fish, what kind, what kind of filtration, is this a rocked pond... you get the drift! Pictures are even better!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Last year I wanted to redo the pond after 1 year being up. So I empty the pond and start recovering up the 100kg of gravel I laid. Of course there was a lot of muck below these stones and the remaining water turn jet black. However it didn't smell bad, actually very earthy, like soil. So I assume the beneficial bacteria was doing its job and supporting a healthly system.

Two weeks later I had to retake out the liner I just placed cause it didn't fit. Anyways when retaking up the gravel again this time it had a really bad smell. So after that I decided never to disturb the gravel again, now over a year and no issues. Once you have a good filter, should get most of the dirt.

Now, I'm not saying this is way to go. It's just what I notice and seems best for me.

Ask a Question