Told my external pump is too powerful to use with any other filter other than pressurized bead filters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I'm shopping for a filter and I was told by a salesperson at a popular pond equipment website that the external pump (Quiet Drive External Pump (MPN QD3250) I purchased recently is too powerful to use with any other type of filter other than a pressurized bead filter, which is out of my price range. The problem seems to be that the media bio type filters will leak at their fittings because of the pressure the pump produces.
Question for those who know: Is this true? Am I out of the market for any type of filter other than pressurized bead filters, which are crazy expensive?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I can already picture the responses coming up here ( bog bog bog bog ).

I will say that 90% of us have no idea about the store bought "filters". We tend to like to focus on more natural bio filters such as an upflow wetland filter ( or bog ). With an upflow wetland filter I guess the only concern would be using the correct strength of piping for the pressure you are introducing with the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is this true?

lol. No. It might be true as it applies to the types of manufactured filters that they are able to sell you, but there is no such thing as a pump that is "too powerful for anything but a bead filter." You could build a bog filter, you could build your own biofalls, you could split the output of the pump so that only some of it is going to whatever box filter you're using. So many solutions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can make a bead type filter from a large Heyward swimming pool filter. Those are much less expensive than pond filters. Put pond on the label and the price increases by ten fold or more, it seems.

The Heyward filters are made for sand so there are some adjustments that need to be made. But if you are at all handy, it's easy to do. You can fill them with the media if your choice, just not sand. That clogs too quickly with fish waste. I use K1 media.

There is a thread on Koiphen.com that shows how to make the needed adjustments to the filter. Or you could probably just Google it.

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can make a bead type filter from a large Heyward swimming pool filter. Those are much less expensive than pond filters. Put pond on the label and the price increases by ten fold or more, it seems.

The Heyward filters are made for sand so there are some adjustments that need to be made. But if you are at all handy, it's easy to do. You can fill them with the media if your choice, just not sand. That clogs too quickly with fish waste. I use K1 media.

There is a thread on Koiphen.com that shows how to make the needed adjustments to the filter. Or you could probably just Google it.
I actually have plans on converting a sand pool filter into a pond filter not sure of the brand of the filter but it does not matter it was given to me FREE OF CHARGE just have to go pick it up.

Ask a Question