Reaction score
Country
United States
20210303_1407353a65eff8e15ff855.jpg

"Will work for food."

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You could try and get something like a 'scarecrow' motion sensor sprinkler and place them around your pond. With motion, a jet of water will shoot and may scare them away.

I tried:
- Motion sprinklers
- Fake Owl
- Fake Heron

Of the above, the fake heron was probably the best (heron's fight so the more nervous one's will keep away for a while.... just move your fake heron around every day or so), but even it didn't scare the real heron's away for long.... and your pond is so big, another heron would just go to the other side).

Netting was the only way to stop the heron's for me, but yours is too big for that. Get fish in there that are too big to be swallowed, and hope a Pelican doesn't find you :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it will be a futile effort unfortunately, the only thing I've ever done is put lots of nylon rope between trees to ruin flight paths, but my pond is not as big and trees already constrict most approaches to my pond. Yours is very open and the amount of net and cable/rope that would be needed to make it unpleasant for birds to try fly and land on/near will look worse than having the birds :/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it was my pond I would just love all the wild life, keep only cheap fish in it and just enjoy the nature show.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, sorry I was MIA. I had to go out of state for work. Anyway I'm down to two ducks, two red tail hawks (no longer eating fish but ground squirrels now) one black heron (now named Dick) see pic. When he can't eat my fish, he brakes things around my house. In the pic he destroyed Jhony's canopy. I've lost 10 fish, over 2 feet long to him. However I have worked out that an rc speed boat works really well to drive everything except the fish and turtles off. I did try the fake heron, dick killed it within a day. He took the head off.

Attachments

• 20210305_114716.jpg
    20210305_114716.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210111_140954.jpg
    20210111_140954.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Country
United States
If it was my pond I would just love all the wild life, keep only cheap fish in it and just enjoy the nature show.
I'm going to have to do that sadly. I was trying to keep my late father in law's fish alive. However, I'm also not going to kill the wildlife just for living.

Ask a Question