Too many fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, i am in london, i think i have too many fish, my pond is approx 8ft wide by 10 ft long by 4 ft deep rising to 2ft deep, i have 20 ,8 to 12 year old gold fish, plus 2 crusians, 5 fancies around 5 years old plus between 70 and 100 babies, the babies are getting big, some are 3 years old and are 4 inches long plus i have 9 4 year olds now 5 inches long, so that amounts to over 130 fish in this pond,can anyone help me please, i would like to rehome about 50 babies , any ideas?? i would really appreciate any help or advice, thanks guys.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Have you considered testing your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? This is often an indicator of how your filtration is keeping up with the fish load.

In my opinion, it is too many fish. Here in the states we have Craigslist and some people have had good luck posting them there. You could also put up flyers at local pet stores / pond shops

Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you considered testing your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? This is often an indicator of how your filtration is keeping up with the fish load.

In my opinion, it is too many fish. Here in the states we have Craigslist and some people have had good luck posting them there. You could also put up flyers at local pet stores / pond shops

Welcome to the forum :)
thankyou.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
garden centers let you post for free .To many fish are a fact of life when you have goldies or shubbies and you must always think ahead how to get rid of them .i don't get many babies but the ones I do go fast to new homes and best place I found was my 3 garden centers .I now have a waiting list for people who want fish .Remember ever give what looks like unhealthy fish .My babies I put into a stock tank to make sure they are healthy .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
garden centers let you post for free .To many fish are a fact of life when you have goldies or shubbies and you must always think ahead how to get rid of them .i don't get many babies but the ones I do go fast to new homes and best place I found was my 3 garden centers .I now have a waiting list for people who want fish .Remember ever give what looks like unhealthy fish .My babies I put into a stock tank to make sure they are healthy .
no i can catch them, need to know if there are too many for the pond size and if so where to rehome them.
@sheila gletherow Do you know the exact gallonage Imperial of your pond?
But yes thats far too many goldfish however you are in luck there is a Three counties koi and goldfish rescue service run by a friend of mine called Maxine Schofield Grundy she is on fb she may be able to take the bulk of the fish to be rehomed you could message her to see if she can help with your problem?
Good Luck (y)

@sissy sadly for reasons of diseases etc no Aquatic outlets will touch them you cant even give them too the outlets its the same story I'm affraid :(

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@sissy sadly for reasons of diseases etc no Aquatic outlets will touch them you cant even give them too the outlets its the same story I'm affraid

That may be the case in the UK. Many (too many) of the pond and fish outlets in the U.S. do not operate at that level of concern. They will accept free fish from most anyone if they have a place to keep them and they figure that they can be sold. No concern about disease spread; no thought of adequate quarantine; all usually a result of a major lack of knowledge on the part of the proprietors. You would be amazed at how many self-proclaimed "professionals" here in the 'Colonies' cannot adequately explain the Nitrogen cycle or even begin to explain the aquatic Carbon cycle. Now that is truly sad!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That may be the case in the UK. Many (too many) of the pond and fish outlets in the U.S. do not operate at that level of concern. They will accept free fish from most anyone if they have a place to keep them and they figure that they can be sold. No concern about disease spread; no thought of adequate quarantine; all usually a result of a major lack of knowledge on the part of the proprietors. You would be amazed at how many self-proclaimed "professionals" here in the 'Colonies' cannot adequately explain the Nitrogen cycle or even begin to explain the aquatic Carbon cycle. Now that is truly sad!!
Our nearest Aquatic outlet has an owner that has a degree in Fish Sciences so she does know her stuff

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thankyou i will try that, i was thinking of removing them from the pond to a holding tank, great minds eh, cheers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when I advertised them at the garden centers I included pics of them in the holding tank and a couple of pics of several different ones and pics of my pond and my fish .This way people who were thinking of a pond it would push them over the edge getting free fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thankyou i will try that, i was thinking of removing them from the pond to a holding tank, great minds eh, cheers.
when I advertised them at the garden centers I included pics of them in the holding tank and a couple of pics of several different ones and pics of my pond and my fish .This way people who were thinking of a pond it would push them over the edge getting free fish
Many british garden centres have aquatic outlets sissy I doubt they would allow fish to be offered from someones pond when they want to sell fish :(

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our nearest Aquatic outlet has an owner that has a degree in Fish Sciences so she does know her stuff

Dave

One thing I forgot to Mention Meyer is that we have powerful Animal rights Laws here in the UK and the onus is on a duty of care by both the owner and pet trade 'Aquatic shops etc The BKKS as well as The FBAS argued long and hard too keep our shows and the BKKS National show
If the Government had got its way all shows would have been out Including Bird Rabbit Cat Hamsters and other animals they are now tightening up on exotics too

Dave

Ask a Question