Too Much Filtering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks. I see now that it's just the cycle at work. The the fish poop, the fish poop releases ammonia, the bacteria in the filter indirectly converts the ammonia to nitrates, the algae consumes the nitrates, the fish eat the algae, repeat.

This is what the algae looks like. What kind is it?

View attachment 132705
Mine looked like that for maybe a week or two, then it totally cleared up. I had that thick green covering on everything, but my water was crystal clear. I would guess that mine cleared up due to my bog maturing and the plants in the pond and bog maturing.

Do you have enough plants and adequate filtration? If so, I would say that it's a good thing and just leave it be and it will probably clear up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In a bog system you sure can filter too much but then it's just s biological filter and not a bog. years down the road when the sediment starts to build you may be able to get plants growing are years of heavy filtration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, i took a drive out to that place in Jersey today where i said they had all the varieties of canna and spoke with what i thought the owner. When he said the place was founded in 1898 like i said had to be quite the place in it's day. Well come to find out it's owned by the folks @Tula is always talking about out in ohio tricklers i believe it was they started at this location in jersey. Which explains the elaborate set up. Its called Waterford gardens. Kodama koi has rented some space from them as well but due to Covid they shut down for the year. I your looking for a mass planting they have things like parrot feather and some others . They could do a lot more with the place in my eyes but the age i believe has taken it's toll. but i would love to get my hands on the place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. I see now that it's just the cycle at work. The the fish poop, the fish poop releases ammonia, the bacteria in the filter indirectly converts the ammonia to nitrates, the algae consumes the nitrates, the fish eat the algae, repeat.

This is what the algae looks like. What kind is it?

View attachment 132705
So that looks like dead or dying algae to me. Everyone’s pond is slightly different. It doesnt hurt that your pump and filter are oversized. Just be careful not to over clean it because it needs some debris buildup for filtering to work properly. I’m guessing you are getting a fair amount of sun. Try putting in some floating plans like water lettuces or water hydrangeas to help block the sun. Lilies will do that well also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh, i took a drive out to that place in Jersey today where i said they had all the varieties of canna and spoke with what i thought the owner. When he said the place was founded in 1898 like i said had to be quite the place in it's day. Well come to find out it's owned by the folks @Tula is always talking about out in ohio tricklers i believe it was they started at this location in jersey. Which explains the elaborate set up. Its called Waterford gardens. Kodama koi has rented some space from them as well but due to Covid they shut down for the year. I your looking for a mass planting they have things like parrot feather and some others . They could do a lot more with the place in my eyes but the age i believe has taken it's toll. but i would love to get my hands on the place.

Here is the complete history on William Trickers, so fascinating ! I really want to visit their facility in Independence, OH when things settle down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure I follow. How exactly would additional filtration impact the bog or anything else? It would just guarantee complete conversion of all ammonia and nitrite into nitrate which then would still be available for the plants including the bog plants also, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I filter only heavy /large material with a strainer basket. And there is the usual leaf that sits in the pond decaying yet I have some plants that are more a yellow over a green due to lack of nutrients

Ask a Question