Too old to clean

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had several ponds over the years and enjoy them very much. However, it is getting harder to bend down and reach into the pond in order to extract the pump and pre-filter for cleaning. Currently, I use pre-filter material wrapped around the pump which sits in a basket. Otherwise, the pond is very healthy with plants, fish and tadpoles/frogs. Any suggestions for an old man?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a external pump. Always have never liked using submersibles. I do have a small submersible in my hot tub pod with a matala pre filter, it gets cleaned only at the end of the season.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Could you tie a rope to the pump or basket? Some pumps, especially larger ones, come with a handle to facilitate this. I purchased some waders when I build my last in ground pond. Works good when cleaning since I can climb down and save my back and knees. Also great when the water is colder.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rope tied to the pump so you can pull it out while standing.

Like addy said get a external that can have the power shut down and just drain the water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
First you have to tell us how old you are... Just kidding! Good suggestions here, so I have nothing to add except WELCOME!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1603147736171.gif
@martyhart57
I use a rope tied to my prefilter and pump. This type of filter is not hard to pull up w/the rope. I only use the prefilter as my filter and then also have a pot edge filter I made that sits on the top edge of the pond. I keep them all running all year long.

This is the prefilter.

1603148105820.jpeg

Set up is something like this:

1603148154416.jpeg

Top edge filter:

1603148399627.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder if you have any young people nearby who might want to come earn a little money? You could teach them how to do the different tasks you need help with. You might end up sparking a love of ponding in the next generation!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I wonder if you have any young people nearby who might want to come earn a little money? You could teach them how to do the different tasks you need help with. You might end up sparking a love of ponding in the next generation!
I am sure if anyone came to me and asked me to help with their pond chores I would be delighted!

Of course you probably couldn't call me a normal young person.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's what I love about having grandkids close. Mine does a lot of my maintenance for me. But, sadly he is the last one to help me, and he is getting older now. :( I am older also, there is no way I could maintain the pond by myself. I would see about asking around and see if a neighbor kid could help.

Ask a Question