Do Water Lilies Get Too Old

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
And stop blooming? I ask this because I’ve only had one bloom so far this season.....rewind 8years ago when for my first pond I bought one Nymphaea bulb to go into my new pond...for the next 3-4 years I got countless blooms all spring and summer. 4 years ago I moved...brought it with me put it in my new and bigger pond...more sun..more space...and it did poorly. Advice given here suggest I divide and fertilize, which I did...and again it did poorly(2-3 blooms all season)...gave it another year to recover, added fertilizer specifically for water lilies and it did poorly. And so far I can tell it’s going to do the same, again I fertilized in March. So what gives? They get 10+ hours of full sun...all my other plants are exploding. Are they done for? Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lilies will have tubers that get old, I just keep the ones with small leaves. When I repot them I put 1/4 cup of osmocote in the bottom of the pond. Making sure the growing tip is above the soil level. I keep mine shallow when first started so they will get a good start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine are about 12 years old, and I split them and removed damaged roots for the first time last year. I've had blooms every year, and have had several this year.

Mine are 2 - 2 1/2' deep, but I have a ton of floating parrot's feather and I don't think they get enough light. There are also a lot of goldfish in there, so I think there's a nice little ecosystem going.

My only suggestion would be to test the water instead of guessing on levels... you could have TOO much nitrogen now. I also had an issue with copper in my water a long time ago that killed a lot of my plants and fish before I figured it out. Fish and floating plants like parrot's feather might help you stay on top of any water issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Mine are about 12 years old, and I split them and removed damaged roots for the first time last year. I've had blooms every year, and have had several this year.

Mine are 2 - 2 1/2' deep, but I have a ton of floating parrot's feather and I don't think they get enough light. There are also a lot of goldfish in there, so I think there's a nice little ecosystem going.

My only suggestion would be to test the water instead of guessing on levels... you could have TOO much nitrogen now. I also had an issue with copper in my water a long time ago that killed a lot of my plants and fish before I figured it out. Fish and floating plants like parrot's feather might help you stay on top of any water issues.
Ah this might explain why I’m getting a ton of pads but no blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm in western NC. I don't know how far that is for you to drive, but you're welcome to come and get some parrot's feather! I throw a ton of it away every year, it spreads super fast. But it works great to keep nitrogen under control.

If it's too far to drive, I found it online for $13 for 12 plants. I think it's well worth the investment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I'm in western NC. I don't know how far that is for you to drive, but you're welcome to come and get some parrot's feather! I throw a ton of it away every year, it spreads super fast. But it works great to keep nitrogen under control.

If it's too far to drive, I found it online for $13 for 12 plants. I think it's well worth the investment.

im in SW VA...I actually have loads of parrot feather already along With anacharis that I’d assume also does the same thing...

Ask a Question