when is too early to add a couple of goldfish?

Reaction score
my pond is filled, but i still need to attach my pump to the waterfall/filtration system. i thought it might be cool to add a few goldfish or something to keep me company while i work. is this a terrible idea?

eta the rest will be finished within a week or two

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
bad idea This is the time when you need to be getting your water conditioned for the fish, get your pumps and filters running, do all your water adjusting, get your PH where you want it, get your General hardness and Carbonate hardness set, make sure all leaks and plumbing are running correctly. Don't rush in adding fish, If anything start looking at purchasing plants first, you have plenty of time to add fish when all is set and ready to go. right now is the easiest time to get water all in the correct parameters as there are no fish so you can adjust everything fairly quickly and easily with no ill effeects or shock to the fish. Plus if there is a issue that needs addressing then you don't have to worry about what to do with the fish while you fix the issue.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I know, I know, Not what you wanted to hear, BUT, You'll be glad you listened if there is a water issue, take your time, patience is the key to keeping a pond successfully.

Reaction score
Also if you can hold off for a tad longer you will be in a good position to save money. A lot of nurseries are about to start thier watergarden sales to get rid of overstock before winter. Most fish and plants will be 50-75% off usually. I pick up any perennials or hardies during that time that I might want next year.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good point! There is still enough growing season that hardies can get a good start for this year but not have to pay full price, I've noticed lowes has all the aquatic plants here 50% off but I don't like anything they have left. Or already have it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Patience and time damian, I waited over two months last year to add fish and still killed the poor little feeders. Did not realize our well water was so acidic.

Test your water before you add anything, after you get some filtration going, make sure all is good for them. And it will do the green, murky cycle patience will take care of that also.

Ask a Question