Top of Skippy filter

Reaction score
For thise that have the DYI filter with a 55 gal drum or other, what do you have on the very top of the filter, or what does the top of your filter look like? Mine has a rather large layer of alge growing on the top of my material thats keeping the filter media in place. I have also noticed a large collection of bugs flying around and in the top level of water.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That sounds about right
I cut round plastic lids to cover mine

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here is a shot of mine. The block structure that is on 3 sides of the top provide a nice place for the sign that tops mine.

Attachments

• Filter Cover.jpg
    Filter Cover.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 296
Reaction score
Ok sounds like I'm not the only one with the problem. Unfotuanly I used the top as my bottom grate and I threw away the metal ring so I can't rig up something with the extra liner I have. Have to get creative now

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 150gal. stocktank filter and used an old piece of green vinyl lattice cut to fit inside the top of the tank.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just fill the top with hiacynths or lettuce or even frogbit or any floating plant...getting the extra veggy filtration is a plus!!

Reaction score
i tried the hiacynths but they didnt do so well and died off, i also noticed that when i had them in there the bug issues got worse. I have some lettuce that i might put in there and see how well it works.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am done with hyacinths. Too much trouble for an occasional flower. The water lettuce works outstanding for filtration and algae control. It also provides good cover from predators.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Try Elephant ear. I use the giant, grows well in the media, has pretty extensive roots, and will fill the top of a 55g drum in very little time. Just watch the tendrils, unless you want them all around the filter, too.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Elephant Ear AKA Taro.
My 2nd biggest seller. Why would you put this in the top of a 55 gallon drum? First of all you have to anchor its roots with heavy rocks, then once it gets going, it will completley stop water from rising up to the overflow.

Attachments

• Taro in water.JPG
    Taro in water.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 279

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
We'll see, I guess. I use it in my 100g stock tank, but I really don't think a plant would stop water. I do think the roots would not only be a veggie filter, but be a great amount of surface area for aerobic bacteria to grow.

That said, it is hard to beat dwarf hyacinth, and their compost value is outstanding.

Ask a Question