JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I recently found a nice flat piece of wood from my Willow tree I wanted to set in my pond for frogs, toads, or whatever else wants to use it, but before I add it, I was wondering if it was cause any issues with the fish. Anybody know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good question, I also "wood" like to know the answer too (lol) for some drift wood for my pond and if treated wood would be ok as well?

Reaction score
I would not use treated wood but I think the Willow tree wood would be ok for a while. I do think it would start to rot and make a mess though. I have a friend who works at Lowes and he told me one of the guys in the lumber yard had to go to the hopspital due to a major infection in his leg that was caused by a small amount of the wood treating liquid getting into a scratch on his leg. It is nasty stuff. Maybe it is harmless after it dries or something but I wouldnt risk it, as untreated wood is very easy to come by.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Dieselpower is right. Treated wood is generally treated with poison.

Submerged wood in fresh water does not rot. There is an industry where people are harvesting logs from river beds that have been submerged for 100 or more years.

Now I expect floating wood would in time do so but I would keep an eye on it.

The bark of the Corkscrew Willow (Salix matsudana) and many other willow trees contains salicylates, which are similar to aspirin. Salicylate poisoning is possible if the tree is ingested in large amounts. Dogs can be affected as well as cats, but cats are particularly vulnerable because they do not metabolize salicylates well. Thus, the ASPCA recommends discouraging your pet from chewing on willow trees
I would debark the willow.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
HTH said:
Dieselpower is right. Treated wood is generally treated with poison.

Submerged wood in fresh water does not rot. There is an industry where people are harvesting logs from river beds that have been submerged for 100 or more years.

Now I expect floating wood would in time do so but I would keep an eye on it.

I would debark the willow.
and to think all those years I had my dog she would chew on willow sticks all the time!

This piece is debarked and has been for a few years in the woodpile, I also rinsed it off a few days ago, though I'm still a bit leery about adding it. and haha you said wood would. :)

If anyone else has more experience on it please let me know!

Ask a Question