Trapdoor snails and hi fin shark

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm looking to add some algae eaters to my goldfish pond (approximately 1000 gallons). The algae isn't out of control but it does cover every single underwater surface with a thin greenish brown layer. Was going to get a plecosthemus, but they won't survive our winters (zone 7a) and I don't want to have an indoor setup for 3-6 months. The Japanese trapdoor snails and hi fin sharks seem to be a good answer for my situation, but I can't seem to find them locally. Does anyone have any suggestions for reputable online dealers? The few I've found are charging an arm and a leg once you include shipping.

Also, a couple of questions... with the hi fin's how important is it to get more than one? A couple of things I've found say that they should be kept in a group of at least 2. Since I'll have gold fish in the pond, will that not satisfy their desire for company? Secondly, how many snails do you guys suggest? I've seen calculations that say I need one for every 20 gallons. But with the hi fin(s), I shouldn't need that many, right? Will 1-2 hi fin's + 12-20 trapdoors be sufficient?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance! You guys rock!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
With high fins be sure to check your local regulations to see if they are legal to keep in ponds in your area. They get very large and loose their pretty stripes, which cause some people to illegally release them in local waters when they no longer want them.

I have trapdoor snails but unfortunately can't recommend where I got them. Sparing a long story, I find paying the excess shipping for them is probably worth the while. I love the snails because they add interest to the pond, and while they do a fair bit of cleaning they can't possibly clear my pond of all the algae. So, in my opinion, the "snail calculators" are of no use.

Overall, I stick with live plants to reduce the nutrients that the algae thrive on, and it works for me to keep the algae from getting out of control. And I just tolerate the light coatings of green on my liner.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks. I ended up finding a local place that is going to get them for me in a couple weeks. Going to start with 2 shark and 20 snails. If the sharks get to big, I'll relocate one to a new pond I'll be building next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Warner1281 - I'll add to the snail suggestions. We have them, and can see their trails as the move over the rocks, but there's no way you can have enough to keep the pond free of algae. HOWEVER the good news is, that shouldn't even be your goal. All that algae covering all the surfaces of your pond is a good thing. It's all part of your biological filtration.

And about those hi-fins... how big is your new pond going to be? We saw a hi-fin in a pond that had grown to 4.5 feet long... that's way too big for any garden pond.

Ask a Question