Treated wood

Reaction score
I could swear I read somewhere that pressure treated wood was no good for fish. I plan on building a deck and the pond will have a small section under the deck. From what I understand they used to use some kind of poisonous coating in the past, but Im not sure if new materials are still affected. Please give me a heads up if you have any idea as I plan on getting the wood today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The new treated wood is not safe for ponds. It contains copper sulfate and a small amount of it can kill fish.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I caution people who buy my plans for Japanese bridges not to use pressure treated wood.

Before 2003 they used chromated copper arsenate. Since then, the primary chemicals are amine copper quat and copper azone.

Do not ever burn it! Something I just learned.

Reaction score
I've seen lots of folks use composite around a pond, but I confess I've not heard anything in regard to safety issues. If I were you, I'd call a company like Trex or whomever the manufacturer you're interested in is and ask them if the product is fish safe. Any chemicals used, etc. As far as I know it's plastic and wood shavings. Question is, is the wood shavings pressure treated lumber?

Reaction score
Thanks, ill do my homework for future reference but I decided to push the pond back a little further from the deck. I wanted to have the deck overhang over the pond and hide all my stuff under the deck.

Ask a Question