Trouble in River City or Our Backyard Saga Continues

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
After resolving our pond, ground water seepage, fence, vine and tree overhang problems with the owner of house bordering our back yard we now face a city code issue. Since a part of the solution to the first problems was to remove a portion of our fence from atop the cross tie berm separating our property from the five feet below grade neighbors yard we are in violation of city fencing code due to the gap in the fence. Note that we cannot re-install the original fence due to numerous technical issues.

The current plan is to:
  • remove the driveway and rear neighbor border backyard fence.
  • retain the section of side yard fence adjacent to north side neighbor (this is code compliant since that section can be termed as a decorative vine arbor).
  • plant 4' tall perennial iris' behind the pond to add a natural back drop.
  • to divide our property from the rear neighbors and to run from the property corner to the driveway then from the opposite side of the driveway to our homes corner plant a narrow width 3' tall box hedge in place of the original fence. The hedge will stop where the new iris bed begins.
  • install various tasteful security lights and gardening lights.
  • add spray sealer to seal the pond border stones so soil can be added to give the border stone a more "in the ground" look. Plant running ground cover in and around the border stone. Add inexpensive potted tall summer tropical plants to the north side of the pond. Add carefully selected pond plants that are not invasive.
  • repaint both decks and walk ways
  • re-stain the driveway using a darker stain matching the decks and walk ways.
Please take a look at the attached photos and give me your suggestions. Truly feel free to speak you mind. We want to hear your honest opinions, suggestions and alternatives. Suggest plants, trees, stain and paint colors if you wish.

Thank you.
Big Lou and Cathy

Section 1 of south fence facing street to be removed and replaced with aforementioned hedge. A desert willow tree now stands in front of this fence. Two decorative post lights may be installed on both sides of the driveway.
DSC_5314.JPG

Section 2 of south fence facing street to be removed and replaced with aforementioned hedge. Note: The tree shown in the this photo no longer exists. A desert willow tree may be planted in front of the hedge.
DSC_5317.JPG .

Side fence dividing our property from our rear neighbors. Note the bird house on pole will be removed since birds no longer live there period. (NEVER wash out a bird house after birds have lived in it. Somehow drives them away)
back fence.jpg

Current gap in fence. Tall iris' will be planted behind the pond. There is little space between the rear of the pond and the berm.
Nov 13 2012.jpg

North side fence to be retained as vine arbor. The thicket on top of the fence is around the year home to many small song birds.
north fence.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Suggestion #1... Sell house.
Suggestion #2,,, Buy a place in the country with no PITA neighbours.
Suggestion #3...Build what you want, do what you want, fence it or not, enjoy life!!! After all, there's nobody to complain.
:nananananana:
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Suggestion #1... Sell house.
Suggestion #2,,, Buy a place in the country with no PITA neighbours.
Suggestion #3...Build what you want, do what you want, fence it or not, enjoy life!!! After all, there's nobody to complain.
:nananananana:
John

LOL! Great reply John. Wish we could sell and buy a country home but not possible. After creating the thread I realized it would get little to any response since in the end such changes are so reliant on personal preferences. Thanks for giving me a big smile. :)))

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
now his wife is working close to home that would not work well :razz:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It gets a little hard to follow, lol it could be me
I did see hedge mentioned , i trimmed them my whole life still have to trim my father in laws.
I don't want my son to have to come and trim my stuff, i like plants & trees that fit and stay in shape with very little maintenance

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What did you decide to do Lou? I'm sure it will look nice no matter what you choose cuz you do good work. Sorry I did not input but I hadn't a clue on how to help w/ it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What did you decide to do Lou? I'm sure it will look nice no matter what you choose cuz you do good work. Sorry I did not input but I hadn't a clue on how to help w/ it.

Well J.W. right now the plan is pretty much as stated in my bullet points. I volunteered to have the back of the pond reworked, "AGAIN", so a new privacy fence could be installed. Since Cathy took us out to a really nice resturant tonight I didn't want to turn the wine into vinegar by broaching the subject. I'll let you know the real final plan once the negations are concluded. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Negotiations love it! Better than dog fighting over it!

Love our rural, no neighbors near enough to bother us, house here. One reason we bought this house.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep addy next house we buy will be further away from neighbors too and not in a rural cluster w/ rules and regulations!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
LOL! Great reply John. Wish we could sell and buy a country home but not possible. After creating the thread I realized it would get little to any response since in the end such changes are so reliant on personal preferences. Thanks for giving me a big smile. :)))
Sorry, Lou, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. It's just hard for me to get my head around some of these rules and regulations for sub-divisions and neighbourhoods. Fence heights, clotheslines, types of trees allowed, where you can park your vehicle.....the list goes on! Just glad we don't have any of that here (rural hamlet). In light of your reply, I'd like to add a new #1, and move the others down one notch: Suggestion #1... Win the lottery! :tongue:
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry, Lou, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. It's just hard for me to get my head around some of these rules and regulations for sub-divisions and neighbourhoods. Fence heights, clotheslines, types of trees allowed, where you can park your vehicle.....the list goes on! Just glad we don't have any of that here (rural hamlet). In light of your reply, I'd like to add a new #1, and move the others down one notch: Suggestion #1... Win the lottery! :tongue:
John

Not to worry John, nothing you wrote was offending. I thought your post was great. Hitting the lottery would be great!

Reaction score
.... and not in a rural cluster w/ rules and regulations!

I had to look up rural cluster .... sounds like one of those plans good on paper but not in real live ...

Rural Cluster development is a form of subdivision used in western Howard County.
The residential lots in a rural cluster development average one acre in size and are
grouped together, rather than being scattered across the entire parcel being subdivided.
With a maximum density of one dwelling per 4.25 acres, there is a residual area after the
residential lots, roads, and stormwater management facilities are created. The residual
“preservation area” is protected by permanent easements that prohibit further
development.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh hard to understand a lot of these HOA communities and zero lot line states .I like rural also but have friends who live in the city and love visiting them because you can walk every where and also love the beach as i have friends near Norfolk VA and love that also but not sure I could love it all the time .

Ask a Question