j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you got it right Dianne, they are a pain in the butt sometimes. Certain kind of fence, all outbuildings must match the original houses and no permanent structures on greenbelt area's, no farm animals except for a limited # of say chickens, and no cows but can have a horse or pet goats etc. but must be pets. The thing is here tho we never formed a board or association or anything so nobody obeys any of the rules anyways. Now I don't know what will happen if anybody ever sells to someone who decides they want things done the way it was supposed to have been done to begin with. I just hope we are gone from here by then,lol!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
GREAT UPDATE!

FENCE
I put an ad on Craigslist offering our fencing free for the taking if taken down and site left clean.  Within 8 hours 16 people replied! The lucky person was an older gentleman and strong younger worker. They came over yesterday afternoon and within a few hours had removed the fence panels, dug up the posts and back filled the post holes as much as possible.  They even raked to ensure no debris was left behind.  

We kept the side yard portion of fence that supports a massive trumpet vine.  Along the top of that section is a trumpet vine branch bramble.  The lovely, gnarly bramble is home to a multitude of little birds.  There was no way I was going to destroy the birds home.   To meet city code that stand alone fence is now termed a vine arbor.  If possible, I will try to give the very white verticle arbor a more aged look.

LANDSCAPING 
Still had doubts about the longevity of the railroad tie retaining wall facing the rear neighbors and directly behind the pond so I got a second opinion.  Thankfully, the very impressive man told me the retaining wall needed only one minor repair which Cathy and I can do ourselves. The wall should last another 5 to 10 years.  If we wanted it replaced now it will cost about $700.  After the gentleman left I looked more closely at his business card and noticed he is a Texas Master Nurseryman and landscaper.  Because of the good impression he made Cathy and I will meet with him next Saturday to talk about a full backyard garden restoration including around the pond and of course addition of  property line plantings.   Seems all is coming together!  :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good news Lou and you don't even have to do most of the work! You'll have to show us pictures of it all.

Ask a Question