Troubling spawning behavior

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Best thing to go is get a 5 gallon bucket, fill with pond water, and if u have anarerator put that in their and add fanny. Treat her in the bucket so your doses are exact and she is fully isolated. I have had 50/50 success doing this with fungus issues. And it can take weeks for them to heal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm trying to pick up a full aquarium kit from someone on Craigslist this weekend for this purpose--tank, aerator, decorations, nets, the whole nine yards, even food. (They must have just given up on things.) I didn't think I needed a quarantine tank, because I wasn't adding anymore fish (Fanny added them all). But I've now learned that I do need a medical "facility." Fanny is hanging on right now, but not by much. I thought she was dead at first, but she wriggled a bit after I had watched for about 4 minutes. I added more pimafix. I will do a water change and hopefully get that aquarium up and running while she's alive. I'm not interested in adding more of this broad spectrum stuff to my pond if I can help it, even if it is supposed to be relatively mild for this kind of product. I appreciate the expressions of concern. I didn't expect the fish would come to seem so pet-like.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Spartamets I’m keeping my fins crossed for her! Yes, a large bucket, tub, or tank would be good — with aeration! That’s what I ended up doing with my Ryunkin girl that I mentioned earlier. Went through several ICU experiences with her before deciding to keep her permanently inside. You do become attached! I named her “Spaz.”

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Fanny was trying to get through the barrier, so I released her into the general population, figuring her stress at being confined was as much a problem as anything at this point. She is doing better but still precarious and totally covered in fungus (though she seems to be shedding some). I will be picking up the aquarium tomorrow, so hopefully she'll be fine.

An interesting point that I find worth mentioning. The koi seem to be protecting her. As had been the case while the spawning was happening, I had to rescue her from the skimmer this morning, but one of the koi was planted in front of it until I took her out. (I left her in there for a while to give her solitude, but then she seemed to be spending too much energy to resist the flow into the pump. The filter pad provides a 100% barrier to the pump, but it is dense, for mechanical filtration purposes, so I thought it best to let her out despite my conerns about spawning. The guardian koi was by the skimmer the entire time Fanny was in, but not since.) After I released her, that koi has never been far from Fanny. And when the guilty adult shubunkins and comets drift close, both that koi and a second one (the largest fish in the pond) literally run interference. I watched this behavior both when I first released her last night and for at least an hour today, so I don't think it's a coincidence. Has anyone ever heard of fish doing this? The orfe have been solicitous of her health as well but not acting as guardians like the koi.

Thanks again for everyone's expressions of concern. I'd put her odds now at 60-40 to survive: better than yesterday, but still far from being out of the woods.

Ask a Question