Just starting out and trying to raise large quantity of gold fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, i am setting up a 8' x 2' steel stock tank in order to raise goldfish and supply my unused farm pond which has become overrun with watermeal and some duckweed. I was told small 1 - 5" goldfish and grass carp are the only fish that will eat this, they say after fish get larger than 5" the small watermeal just goes through their gills. N.C. only allows sterile grass carp so that's out. I hope to raise goldfish to eat this stuff, if anyone else knows of a fish I could raise to eat watermeal, please let me know.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
raise goldfish and supply my unused farm pond which has become overrun with watermeal and some duckweed. I was told small 1 - 5" goldfish and grass carp are the only fish that will eat this, they say after fish get larger than 5" the small watermeal just goes through their gills.
Goldfish on a large scale are extremely invasive, hence why they don't allow the release of captive animals to the wild, its also illegal to release them into the wild (goldfish).
I wouldn't put goldfish in the pond for this reason, and if you get a flood or the water raises over its barriers into another pond or large body of water, your screwed.
Get some ducks, they eat all that stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They will eat duckweed but not watermeal, all the local bait shops sell goldfish as bait so It must be legal. I have read blue tilupia will eat watermeal but this requires a permit in my state.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They can sell them as bait but not as fish you raise .I know here it is illegal to put them in a farm pond .I do provide frogs to a lot of the farm ponds around here and have been told by farmers they are only allowed to stock with certain types of fish .They sell goldfish and other types of fish as bait here but are not supposed to sell goldfish as bait if they get caught selling them they get fined and game wardens take them .Not easy when we only have 4 game wardens here for a whole county .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my ducks eat everything green in the pond....:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am almost sure its not goldfish they use as LIVE bait. You get a loose one and your dead meat legally.
Here in Tennessee you can buy goldfish for fish bait...... Supposed to be a better bait for catfish because of the bright colors..... But I would be willing to bet that will change since almost all the Tennessee river system has become infested with Asian Carp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

Ask a Question