Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just saw an old photo of your pond when you first started the sand filter. it looked amazing When the summer comes you have got to take a pic showing the WHOLEEEEE TING

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
IMG_3422.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Is it normal to have this much algae ? Should I order more plants and if so, what is recommended.

Or.....do I have to practice patience ?! LOL Pond water is crystal clear, back washed S & G filter today and actually not that dirty.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it normal to have this much algae ?
Even now, while my plants in the bog get going, I get algae on the pea gravel. Sun & water & higher temps = algae. Once the plants take off the algae is gone. I don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Even now, while my plants in the bog get going, I get algae on the pea gravel. Sun & water & higher temps = algae. Once the plants take off the algae is gone. I don't worry about it.
Do you think I have enough plants or should I get some more? The red stemmed parrots feather is doing well in the pond. My water lilies are just starting to sprout, so it's possible I just need to be patient!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started with just a few, I let them do what they wanted over time, some I planted poofed away others have grown well. The good growers are what has survived.

If you get more, be aware of height of the plants, how they grow, like taking over. I have some that get tall, 4ish feet, they can overwhelm the shorties, so I try to keep them at one end of the bog. Notice the word try.
I have water mint it can take over, but the bees love it. At times I just yank a bunch of it. Once it is blooming it gets to survive to feed the bees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tula the faster the plant grows ie elephant ear, Umbrella plant, LOTUS the bigger the plant gets the faster it grows the more it strips the nutrients that the algae needs to grow . would i add more plants? yes The bacteria that will be growing in the gravel will take care of the ammonia nitrites nitrates phosphates. In order for the bog to out compete algae it takes a well established bog so plant it up fill it as much as you can if you chose plants that are ok for your zone next year you'll be ripping them out by the hand fulls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
OK, I'm going to order some new plants :) I have water celery in the pond, but that stuff is too fast growing, so I don't want to put it in the bog.

I'd like some larger plants toward the back of the pond. If I do elephant ears I think I'd set their pots in the gravel, as I'm afraid their root system could take over my tiny bog.

Excited to pick out some new plants :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK, I'm going to order some new plants :) I have water celery in the pond, but that stuff is too fast growing, so I don't want to put it in the bog.

I'd like some larger plants toward the back of the pond. If I do elephant ears I think I'd set their pots in the gravel, as I'm afraid their root system could take over my tiny bog.

Excited to pick out some new plants :)
Yea it seems the faster they grow the also more aggressive the root system is as well the umbrella palm grew fast and had lots of roots but not roots there were dangerous to the liner etc.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had elephant ears, grew great, easy to control. The roots did not go down that deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Cardinal Flower - True Aquatic
Pickerel Rush
Green Taro
Giant Arrowhead
Water Pennywort
Sagittaria spp.

These are the plants I ordered today from William Tricker. I'm excited and really looking forward to receiving them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looks great! I'm also doing some finishing touches on our bog. Same as you, hiding the liner. I do a little each day. Piling up rocks against and on top of the wall.
The bog has been great. The clearest water I've seen in quite a while and it's only running a bit over a week. It's by far the best improvement I've done to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Looks great! I'm also doing some finishing touches on our bog. Same as you, hiding the liner. I do a little each day. Piling up rocks against and on top of the wall.
The bog has been great. The clearest water I've seen in quite a while and it's only running a bit over a week. It's by far the best improvement I've done to the pond.
As you can see, I've got spots of algae in the bog. I'm hanging on to a quote in an article I read, that said even a poorly built bog will help :) I noticed small tadpoles in the bog today which I take as a good sign.

The plants addy shipped me last fall are growing and I figure they're tough...they made it over the winter. Want to finish up hiding the loner and get the new net hung over the pond.

Ask a Question