Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is exactly what I was thinking for you @Tula - a small version of @addy1 's bog would be perfect. The whole pond facing side can just flow back in to the pond. And don't be afraid to go deep to get more filtration - our bog is only 4 feet by 6 feet, but it's 4 feet deep. We have a few Aquablox in the bottom and a layer of softball sized rocks and then it's all gravel. We've had no trouble with clogging or the bog getting smelly (both things we were warned would happen) and it filters the pond great.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy, is your bog below your pond...on the lower side of the yard slope? In the first picture you posted, which side is the bog on?
It is on the down slope side. Mainly so the pond hole, 5.5 ft deep at its deepest, had some untouched dirt to have as a side vs a man build dirt berm. I will go out today and see if I can get a slope picture, right now covered with plant matter I tossed out of the bog, waiting to be tractor hauled into our woods.

First picture on the left.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
only 4 feet by 6 feet, but it's 4 feet deep.
Mine is 27 or so feet long, 4.5 feet wide, 2.5 feet plus minus deep. Never smells bad never clogs. I never worry about the pond water, never fight green water, never fight string algae. Basically can ignore the pond all summer if I want to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I found this picture online. It's size and shape would be perfect for our space. I am slightly concerned about access to the waterfall pipes, as they'll run under the new bog.

Just in from running a zillion errands and will measure bog area after lunch . BBL :)

Attachments

• DSC02195-1024x768.jpg
    DSC02195-1024x768.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, more progress with the digging ! We're down about 7 inches and the dirt is piling up ! We have a semi circle of boxwoods and may need to remove one, that is next to Sand &gravel filter line return, but we'll know as we proceed.

Hubby is a hard worker and does most of the work, but I am insisting on doing some of the digging ! I'm going to post today's pictures as "thumbnail" as I think I might be posting pics that are too large. Pardon the fencing, have I mentioned we have 4 dogs.....2 of them newfoundlands !IMG_2958.jpgIMG_2959.jpgIMG_2960.jpg
IMG_2958.jpg
IMG_2959.jpg
IMG_2960.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol nah go full image, makes it easy on us. I edited yours, you can remove if you wish...................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think it's going to look really nice flowing towards the pond once finished. Wondering if I can get some plants in it before first frost, so they'll come up next Spring. I have Parrots Feather ( not sure that's for a bog though ) and another from addy...maybe horse tail...something like that.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parrots feather likes to be anchored, but it prefers water to float in.

If you have some of the water willow it is a neat bog plant, stays small, has purple flowers most of the summer. I probably sent you lizard tail. I think at one time you said some of the water willow came back after winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. Get those bog plants in - they'll do fine even if they put on no growth before the Big Chill. Come spring they'll be ready to go!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yup. Get those bog plants in - they'll do fine even if they put on no growth before the Big Chill. Come spring they'll be ready to go!
I would stick with the smaller bog plants, most of mine get huge. Plant water willow, lizard tail, blue forget me not, things of that sort. Easy to pull and control.

Or just stick with something like the water willow and blue forget me not, that would look great. Maybe some creeping jenny filling in around the plants.

I don't care if my bog is wild, over grown etc. It is in the back of the pond, my entire yard is grow what grows type, not nice neat gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love blue forget me nots and water willow is very nice. I'm getting excited :)

Looking at pond liner pricing. Webbs has 15 % off for C-bus day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Some more digging today. You can see the beginning of the shelf where we'll place the liner under the first row of rocks. Digging by hand 12 inches below the shelf is some work.....just listen to me whine ! ha ! Hubby does most of the work, but I insist on getting in there with the pick ax and shovel ! Here are a couple pictures before the rain moved in and we
IMG_2962.jpg
IMG_2963.jpg
had to cover with a tarp.

Ask a Question