addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 Where should we raise the edges away from the pond and with what....rocks, blocks, dirt? Don't worry we ain't cutting nothin !!
If it were mine, I would raise the edges with dirt, making the dirt flat on top so you can put rocks on top of the liner, then slope the dirt away from the bog. Have a shallow shelf on the inside of the bog so you can put rocks that cover the liner. The top rocks go on them. As you go away from the pond have random rocks put here and there among plants. Make sure you use large and small rocks, a mix so it does not appear you have a un-natural looking edge.
bog.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks @addy1 , I shared your remarks and drawing with hubby. Today I helped him bring up some big rocks from our rock pile and we went to Lowes for pea gravel and PVC. He is playing around with the liner, rocks and PVC....says he's "noodling it over in his mind ".

Here are a few pics from the end of the day. Nothing is permanently in place, cut or glued.

IMG_2983.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg
IMG_2985.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! No need to glue those rocks in place the gravel will hold them there. You might be doing a lot of adjustment over time.

Love the rocks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Nice! No need to glue those rocks in place the gravel will hold them there. You might be doing a lot of adjustment over time.

Love the rocks!
I meant we haven't glued the PVC, just practicing for now. Hubby is taking a day off, says he'a bit stiff and I understand....we're no Spring chickens to be hauling those rocks up a hill !

We have a pretty good pile of rocks, so it's good to use some :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Back to bog work today. We thought about making the bog slightly smaller due to the space constraints, but decided against it. Hubby did a great job hiding the liner around the edge and the rock work looks great. These pictures show us filling it with water, looking for low spots and hubby rearranging ( and then rearranging again and again - LOL ) rock work near the spill way. We're supposed to have another good day of weather tomorrow :)

IMG_2990.jpg
IMG_2991.jpg
IMG_2993.jpg
IMG_2996.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks @j.w , I used your and @addy1 advice on hiding the liner and I'm really pleased with out it's turned out. We need to work on the spill way tomorrow. Hubby is working on it's function and I'm thinking of ways to make it look better - ha ha!

Hubby thinks it may be finished on Th., which is very exciting! I'll probably start rinsing some of the pea gravel tomorrow...excited to get some plants in it :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad it helped and worked out good for you. Tweak, tweak and tweak again, that the way it is w/placing rocks just perfectly,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The man who did the retaining walls around our pool build this summer told us he had a "bunch of rocks" he'd sell us cheap and he'd deliver them ! He said he gets them on job sites all the time. The funny thing is one night around 10 pm, I was taking a hot bath and hubby was already asleep when I heard this loud sound. At first I thought it might be thunder from a pop up storm, but checked radar and there was nothing. Looked out the window and there was the contractor with his big truck dumping the rocks for us :oops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have lots of extra liner, it appears, raise the edges away from the pond by just a few inches. It will do great, you can make it flow nicely back into the pond.

BIG HINT do not cut the liner, leave extra, I had to raise the edges of my bog by about 3 inches after it had been running for about 2 years. The gravel settled, roots grew, water level went up. Most of the gravel is right at water level. Some under some above.
Wish i had seen these words somewhere when i was planning out the bog i assumed it would raise a little but i thought only a little as the pressure would grow and it would not raise that much I WAS WRONG i will have to put extensions onto the bog walls come this spring but i had a demented plan just in case i built the two bogs so if work was required on one i would not loose everything

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem! Since my bog is a raised wood frame, I cut my liner after a few months. Now it is overflowing so will be reworking it in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I worry this could happen to us in the width part of our liner. We have more than enough length, but not much extra in the width. Hubby mentioned the C word yesterday and I gasped.........no CUTTING the liner - LOL !

Well, just re looked at the pictures. I guess we do have enough liner...the bigger problem will be concealing all the extra, or deciding how much we could safely cut.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Tula it looks great! Those rocks are perfect for your space! You are going to be so happy with your bog filtration - we have never questioned our decision to filter only with the bog. It's so much prettier than any other kind of filter when you get it planted and growing. You can easily move things from one place to another - gravel is a forgiving planting medium! We've changed the look of our bog almost every year with different plants and different arrangements. And it's a fun place to experiment and see what will grow in water!

Ask a Question