Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Look what hubby accomplished while I went to Jazzercise and then baked pumpkin spiced bread :) The big white pipe is the return from t
IMG_2965.jpg
IMG_2967.jpg
IMG_2968.jpg
he S & G filter, The narrow pipe near the pond's edge is the line from the WF pump to the WF.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have a pretty big rock pile way from a couple summer projects. This morning we picked out some and brought them up hill - LOL - near to the bog site. I think we'll order the liner tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Excited....just ordered the liner and underlayment. Webbs had by far, the best price and it was a combo deal, liner + underlayment for a better price then if purchased separately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The liner and underlayment arrived today, but it's cold and drizzly outside :( Tomorrow, the flexible PVC hose, new pump and some kind of ball vale thingy, arrive.

I'm hoping the weather holds for us to get it completed. I know the plants won't flourish till next year, but it would be nice to get them in the pond.

Today hubby changed the diaphragm on my smaller aerator, so I can swap out the big one and get ready for winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So today the new pump, hose and valve things arrived. Hubby swapped out the 2000 GPH pump in skimmer, feeding the sand & gravel filter with the new 2960 GPH....i can not get over the improvement ! Everything I've read says the pump's limit is 2000 GPF, agues we should have considered the head. it bums me out to think the pond will soon be winterized after a summer of struggling with filtration....oh well, gives me something to look forward to next Spring.

We'll use the 2000 pump for the bog, which we're working on tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So today we put the underlayment and liner down to check it's fit. Hubby filled with water to check for low spots ec. He looked pretty frustrated as he pumped the water back out and says he needs to dig more and figure out how the water will flow from the bog over the edge of the pond. Of course, Piper, supervised...making herself comfy in the tarp we use to cover the hole !

IMG_2974.jpg
IMG_2975.jpg
IMG_2976.jpg
IMG_2980.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You just need one edge that lower than the rest... hopefully the one that's on the pond side!
The low side is near the pond but leans to the left. We have a tricky issue, as the water fall line is barely under the ground ....so hubby is trying to make a level "opening" from the narrow end of the bog, back into the pond...that goes over the line.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have lots of extra liner, it appears, raise the edges away from the pond by just a few inches. It will do great, you can make it flow nicely back into the pond.

BIG HINT do not cut the liner, leave extra, I had to raise the edges of my bog by about 3 inches after it had been running for about 2 years. The gravel settled, roots grew, water level went up. Most of the gravel is right at water level. Some under some above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@addy1 Where should we raise the edges away from the pond and with what....rocks, blocks, dirt? Don't worry we ain't cutting nothin !!

Ask a Question