Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Tula it looks great! Those rocks are perfect for your space! You are going to be so happy with your bog filtration - we have never questioned our decision to filter only with the bog. It's so much prettier than any other kind of filter when you get it planted and growing. You can easily move things from one place to another - gravel is a forgiving planting medium! We've changed the look of our bog almost every year with different plants and different arrangements. And it's a fun place to experiment and see what will grow in water!
I think I"ll be anxiously waiting for Spring like a kid waiting for Christmas !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Things are not moving as quickly as we expected. Hubby ditched the flexible PVC pipe, too hard to work with for our space. He's finished plumping the PVC and we're about 1/3 of the way filling with pea gravel. Tomorrow we're to get heavy rains, it'll be good to have a day off :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, it's up and running! It aint purdy....yet....but it's running! We really wanted to get it planted before our first frost. Thanks @addy1 for plants....I finally disassembled my deck pond, which I've had running for two years with plants :) I may need it next summer as a nursery, but it was pretty much a mess after I tried getting the plants out of it!

I may have over planted or under planted...not sure, but fingers crossed something takes hold and comes back next Spring. It's pretty ugly right now ( actually the whole pond is as I'm prepping it for winter ) , but we'll have time later to beautify and it work more on the rocks and spill way.

IMG_3012.jpg
IMG_3013.jpg
IMG_3014.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks fine to me especially since it's Fall now and everything is going dormant. You'll have lots of fun w/it in Spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Looks fine to me especially since it's Fall now and everything is going dormant. You'll have lots of fun w/it in Spring!
Thanks @j.w , I'm really looking forward to Sprig, working with the plants and rocks :) Right now the pond is all cloudy, even though we rinsed the pea gravel, but I know it'll settle in a day or so.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bet you will be happy as pie w/it filtering your pond and keeping things all nice and clear!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I bet you will be happy as pie w/it filtering your pond and keeping things all nice and clear!
I'm really excited to be able to grow marginal and bog plants. My pond has straight drop sides, so I'm limited in what I can plant. I'm hopeful it'll enhance filtration too :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks beautiful! My bog looks basically empty right now, too... so we're all in this together! Come spring and it's a whole new ballgame!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm really excited to be able to grow marginal and bog plants. My pond has straight drop sides, so I'm limited in what I can plant. I'm hopeful it'll enhance filtration too :)

Tula it looks great! What a big project. Glad you were able to get it done before the weather turned!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The plants will look like yuck but then then will come back and grow over your house!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula it looks great! What a big project. Glad you were able to get it done before the weather turned!
It was a bigger project then we realized for a relatively small bog! I started cutting back the monster sized " never blooming" hydrangea at the beginning of Oct., so nearly a month in the making. Because our pond is only 1700 gallons, the bog's surface area ,by my estimate is 25 - 33 % of the pond's surface.

Kind of worried about it gathering gunk ( mostly from koi sites ) but am hopeful. I wish it had a waste line to discharge water out of the pond and not into the pond , if needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It looks beautiful! My bog looks basically empty right now, too... so we're all in this together! Come spring and it's a whole new ballgame!
I've come to love member's Marsh Marigolds, so am hoping to get one next Spring :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kind of worried about it gathering gunk ( mostly from koi sites ) but am hopeful
Mine has been running x 9 years, I do have a "drain" line ie I can open and drain the water out of the bog, did it once about 4 years ago, ran it just for a while, nothing came out but clean water. Have never run it again.

The surface of the bog does collect dirt, dust, debris, I don't worry about it. Even when I turn it on in the spring only a little bit of dirt goes into the pond. Now when I go into the bog and purge plants a lot of dirt goes into the pond, by the next day the water is back to crystal clear.

Koi peeps don't like bogs, at least the heavy into koi sites. Us water garden people are not at their same level per them lol

Ask a Question