Turtle habitat help -- ideas for making faux, yet functional things like tree limbs... [read post]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
M; can you use cork? I used this substrate for orchids, once upon a time...came in various lengths, various thicknesses, looked like peeled bark with some nice deep grooves. I got them at a dedicated orchid greenhouse; you might have to ask around if you go this route...

Michael
Might be able to use it to cover some PVC pipe and add texture and variety. But what I'll be constructing is lots of life-size "branches" and "logs."

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Use fiberglass. Get you some plaster and make molds of the actual wood that is there then make fiberglass or resin copies and paint them.
After a liitle research, I like the fiberglass idea, but my main concern would be cost of the overall volume of the supplies I'd need to recreate the majority of the wood in the habitat. It's a big habitat and lots of branches & logs collected over the years (though not all will need replacing).

One idea I found that I kinda liked would work with f/glass or a concoction of concrete or plaster. It uses pool noodles as forms with bent PVC pipe inside the noodle for strength. See pic for an example. They carved/sculpted the pool noodles into more organic shapes and you could join pieces if you wanted branches on the branches or branched shapes -- they used Great Stuff as an adhesive. This guide was for making indoor props, so they did a sort of paper mâché type application with cheese cloth and glue to cover the noodle and it took on the shape they'd sculpted into the foam. But fiberglass would work. Or maybe a mortar mix might work -- would take some experimentation.

image.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
After a liitle research, I like the fiberglass idea, but my main concern would be cost of the overall volume of the supplies I'd need to recreate the majority of the wood in the habitat. It's a big habitat and lots of branches & logs collected over the years (though not all will need replacing).

One idea I found that I kinda liked would work with f/glass or a concoction of concrete or plaster. It uses pool noodles as forms with bent PVC pipe inside the noodle for strength. See pic for an example. They carved/sculpted the pool noodles into more organic shapes and you could join pieces if you wanted branches on the branches or branched shapes -- they used Great Stuff as an adhesive. This guide was for making indoor props, so they did a sort of paper mâché type application with cheese cloth and glue to cover the noodle and it took on the shape they'd sculpted into the foam. But fiberglass would work. Or maybe a mortar mix might work -- would take some experimentation.

View attachment 85399
The other thing to keep in mind is the gret stuff will fade in the outdoors and the boxies might tear it up too. Fiberglass is what I always use cause you can get the supplies really cheap at a body shop supply and plaster is really easy to come by. Also you can make your molds and fill them with polyurethane expanding foam and then coat that with resin and paint to make the process easier. I personally make all my artificial elements in fiberglass so if you need any help let me know and I will share my experience and help you to locate all the materials at a good price.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

View attachment 85399
I really like the pool noodle idea but as I said about the spray great stuff the durability would not be too good and also if the boxies tear it up and or eat a chunk then that may be disastrous. After all it is ALL about the turtles so their health and safety trumps the aesthetics bar none any other aspect :) I think the project you found with the noodles is more appropriate for climbers like bearded dragons and such that use them as their basking spot. The turtles like to "modify" their stuff to match other goals so that is why I always go with fiberglass. Easy to shape, paint and is extremely weather resistant and light weight especially if you leave the props hollow inside. Also you can strip the paint from FG and redo it if you get tired of the design with little to no damage to the FG form. Foam not only requires a special paint (most paints will dissolve it) but also if you try and repaint it you will have to use very expensive and time consuming chemicals to either strip it and/or prime it for another coat.

This floating log is fiberglass with a air chamber in the top and steel weight molded in the bottom to keep it upright.
$(KGrHqF,!qEFC)i4GWcDBQtD9icl5Q--_32-615x400-0-0.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have that floating log in my pond but I put it there for the toads so they can get up and out of the water.

I think the fish enjoy it too.

Maggie, What is that cute turtle ornament in the second photo?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maggie, What is that cute turtle ornament in the second photo?
It's a metal turtle stepping stone that they sold at Hobby Lobby about 4 years ago. I bought our store out at the time, but could never find them anywhere else. I also have a few smaler ones that lack the "open" pattern of the shell.

@Marshall Thank you for the words of advice!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder if you could use a smaller branch and cover it with plaster. Lika a 1/2 mold that you could peel the limb out of after the plaster set. Then sponge paint it to blend

Ask a Question