Turtle habitat help -- ideas for making faux, yet functional things like tree limbs... [read post]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my current and on-going battle with ants in my turtle habitat, I have come to a realization, and that is that the "turtle-scaping" [which is mostly pieces of wood -- fallen tree limbs, etc.] that I use is contributing to the ant problem. I use as much "nature" as possible in the "turtle-scaping." One reason, of course, is aesthetics, but the main reason I use real wood is that it will provide a nice micro-habitat for bugs and things that the turtles can snack on. As well as giving the turtles nice, natural places to hide [where they can dig in and use the wood like a little turtle-condo]......

So, what I would like to do is replace some [but not all] of the nice, ripe, rotting wood with "something" that will give the illusion of a natural environment [ie, pieces of fallen wood]. And, something that will still please the turtles. And something that will please me [aesthetics].

All I can come up with is PVC pipe...... But how can I make it NOT look like PVC pipe?

I also though of somehow using Great Stuff, shaping and painting it....... But that's a lot of Great Stuff!

Do you have any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What about using some of the larger clay pots for hidey caves? You can cut them in half if you can figure out how to do it without breaking it. Or maybe bury it partially on its side.

If you want to try and hide pvc pipes you could try to zip tie silk plants to them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What about using some of the larger clay pots for hidey caves? You can cut them in half if you can figure out how to do it without breaking it. Or maybe bury it partially on its side.

If you want to try and hide pvc pipes you could try to zip tie silk plants to them.
Thanks, Maria! But they have lots of "hides" made along those lines [pots conceled under soil]. What I'm wanting to do is simulate, as much as possible, the natural look I've already achieved. One of the things the turtles will do is find some nice wood that suits their needs [who knows what the criteria is], and then dig underneath, where they feel safe and unseen. So was wanting to make faux logs & branches that look natural [to my eye] and are functional [so the turts can climb on them & dig under them to their hearts' content]. .....but not attract ants! It's OK if other bugs still want to live under them, just not ants!

You can see some of what is there in these pics.
image.jpg

This particular "hide" is actually a burried clay pot, disguised.....to blend in.
image.jpg

This is part of a hill. There is a clay pot "hide" underneath.
image.jpg

These are some logs where the boys like to hide and climb on. Giving them places to climb is the equivalent of "enrichments" used in zoos, etc. It makes their environment more interesting and challenging.
image.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Use fiberglass. Get you some plaster and make molds of the actual wood that is there then make fiberglass or resin copies and paint them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Theres also some kind of foam or other material they use in the aquarium industry, probably similar or the same as what is used in zoo exhibits to make fake logs. I don't know what it is but you might be able to look it up.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think anything that you do DIY is going to take a lot of time and tedious work to craft anything that you are going to find acceptable. Have you checked any of the craft stores like Michael's. If they don't carry them, I am sure that they would know a source.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
M; can you use cork? I used this substrate for orchids, once upon a time...came in various lengths, various thicknesses, looked like peeled bark with some nice deep grooves. I got them at a dedicated orchid greenhouse; you might have to ask around if you go this route...

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maggie the Aquatic trade has all sizes and shapes of faux logs nowadays , when we had the newts they could haul out to bask on what effectively the bottom of a tree all are very life like .

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maggie the Aquatic trade has all sizes and shapes of faux logs nowadays , when we had the newts they could haul out to bask on what effectively the bottom of a tree all are very life like .

Dave
Yes, but these are small. I need life-size. Refer to pics at the start of this thread.

Ask a Question