Turtle pond

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Kudos for planning ahead. What kind of turtle did you have in mind?

Needs to be escape proof with protection from predators if not large or deep. I use Rubbermaid stock tanks for the summer, which fit the bill if appearances are not of primary importance. In your climate you would probably have to winter inside unless it is a large pond and native turtle.

Something to think about: All my turtles have been taken in from people who tired of them after they grew large, not so cute any more and care became a chore.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did not plan on a turtle it found us it's been close to a month now and it's definitely worth it. Muydel {PAINTED TURTLE} IS A CARACHTER she see's when im home and she swims right up to that side of the pond and looks at me . She does a little head bob until i feed her. It didn't take long for the turtle to stop diving in when ever she saw me . and now it actually swims up to me when I'm in the water. she does minimal damage and could leave any time she wants as i do not have sides to keep her in all the way around the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe, But unfortunately I just came in from the pond where I watched the turtle chasing the koi and reaching out biting at them . im afraid she's outstayed her welcome. THERES NO DOUBT SHES TRYING TO CHASE THEM DOWN AND BITTING AT FISH 4 TIMES HER SIZE. That is unacceptable. IF I DIDN'T HAVE the investment in koi I'd consider a pond of nothing but turtles they have been entertaining. Maybe Terrapin might be in the cards. i DON'T THINK @Jhn has had them go after his fish. And i have kept it well fed just dumped 60 bucks in turtle food too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe, But unfortunately I just came in from the pond where I watched the turtle chasing the koi and reaching out biting at them . im afraid she's outstayed her welcome. THERES NO DOUBT SHES TRYING TO CHASE THEM DOWN AND BITTING AT FISH 4 TIMES HER SIZE. That is unacceptable. IF I DIDN'T HAVE the investment in koi I'd consider a pond of nothing but turtles they have been entertaining. Maybe Terrapin might be in the cards. i DON'T THINK @Jhn has had them go after his fish. And i have kept it well fed just dumped 60 bucks in turtle food too
Wow I read an article that usually turtles don't mess with fish bigger than their head. Well if we do a turtle pond I wasn't planning on having fish in there anyway so I will be sure to fence in the fish pond.

Ask a Question