sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been one strange summer for sure .Never saw one this wet and cool here .I have been keeping track of this change they say is coming in the magnetic pull from the sun and this year will be the biggest change of all for the earth .They are saying it should happen in less than 3 months and they have been tracking it since 1976 .Don't know what it means for us and not sure what kind of change they are expecting .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know sissy..our weather here sure hasn't been what it "normally" is for summer. Had a few hot spells but thats about it...and then oodles of rain in one week. My test kits have not arrived yet...:( darnit but should be here this week, until then I'm not going to worry about it since my fish are not in there yet. It's a new pond and a deeper/bigger pond so am sure eventually mother nature will work her magic until I can help her along abit. It is not horrible pea soup just abit green. The two trees about 25 ft from it are now starting to shade it more and more with the earths rotation towards fall here, only about 1/3 of the pond now has sunlight for the majority of the day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep and the tree shade will have and then naked trees and leaves all over

Reaction score
Consider planting to shade 2/3 of the pond's surface. As has been mentioned alternatively search "veggie filter" or bog, especially w/ Water Celery. HTH.

Edit: after looking at your pic a veggie filter upstream of your DIY filter looks very doable. Good luck to you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the two trees by the pond are locust trees...hopefully the north winds will blow em to the neighbors yard! lol...although I have already seen a few in the skimmer (when I had it running. Need to get another pump, but cant get one here in this town, have to drive 45 mins away to a bigger town to a lowes, home depot or menards and we wont be going there for another week and a half yet to go get more pickets for the backyard fence.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As ya mention in post#8, it is a good thing you are waiting till you put your fish in the pond so to allow the pond water to mature, but I would be concerned that there may not be proper amount of nutrients for the biofiltration to build up and the plants to become established. Since you do not have fish in your pond yet, then this could be a prime time to jump start your bio-filtration. I am curious also if your source water has any ammonia or nitrate in it as well since it is quite curious as to your floating pea green water algae. I imagine there is just enough nutrients available in the water for the pea green algae to thrive. I know, after a big rain here, the big ditches full of water take a long time to absorb the water so soon after there is an appearance of pea green algae thriving.

Two approaches to clear up pea green water: 1) using a properly installed UV device (very fast solution); 2) quilt batting in trays (which works, although a bit slower) and another thread talking about its effectiveness of removing it. Also, as mentioned in the mechanical filtration discussion thread, you could look into buying or building your self a wet/dry filter (also called trickle or shower tower) such as Tetra's Wet/Dry filter and you could just place some quilt batting on the top of the tray.

Since you do not have any fish in the pond, I would definitly look into doing a fishless cycle, but the pea green algae would need to be resolved otherwise you will just be feeding the pea green algae. The fishless cycle is a process to build up the bacteria and organisms in your biological filtration. As mentioned in the remedial water chemistry and treatment thread, the thread titled Ok, no what do i do has a good discussion and other hyperlinks talking about and instructions for a fishless cycling.

I imagine Nebraska has quite alkaline water, but I would definitely double check this to make sure by contacting your local municipality building for a water report or by geting a KH test kit so you know your water's alkalinity measurement. If your alkalinity measurement, also known as KH, is quite low and you are receiving all the rain you are, then I would strongly recommend a major portion of your bog and plant medium to be a calcium carbonate product such as crushed oyster shell or any other formulation of it out there. This product can be found quite cheap at farm feed supply stores, but I would make sure it is primarily calcium carbonate with very little of any other nutritional additives since you just want the calcium carbonate rather than adding more nutrients to the water. This product will help to stabilize the water, but it may not be sufficient; however, even if not sufficient, it does still help.

Glad to see you are planning ahead. :cheerful: Good luck to ya!. :claphands:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My test kit came yesterday so late last night I did the first test results were:
ph (to high to read? real blue)
high ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm

then this morning I did another test:
ph 7.6
high ph 8.4
ammonia 0 to 0.25
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm

My diy filter has lava rock on the bottom and quilt batting from there to about 1" to the top. I've been washing out the batting about every other day...but alas the green is winning. I believe I have to build a bog and that will probably occur this weekend as I took it off. I will try the osyster shell as we have two farm stores here in town. I believe my pond is alkaline from the way it sounds. 3/4 of the water in my pond came from good ol mother nature within a weeks time...I topped it off with our city water and that was now pretty much three weeks ago for the rain water but I didnt top it off or get the filter going until a two weeks ago. The mosquitos now have a nice home to grow in...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
problem being is the weather heat and then cool nights and all that rain .You never know what is in rain water so I got to wondering after midnight last night we got a pretty good rain and put a clean bowl out to test it and ready to see what happens .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know rain has to factor in where you live so decided to see what mine is.After your rain filled pond it got me to wondering since we have been getting a lot of rain also .Also found this mushroom

Attachments

• puddles pond 024.JPG
    puddles pond 024.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 229
  • puddles pond 025.JPG
    puddles pond 025.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 301
  • puddles pond 027.JPG
    puddles pond 027.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 251
  • puddles pond 016.JPG
    puddles pond 016.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 225
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
wow nice mushroom.....yes we get those too in the grass here and there but not quite as big as that one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm working on thinking of a way to use a preformed pond into a bog for my pond...and think I have it figured out! I know what I'm doing the next three days on my mini vacation (was going to can tomatoes and work on the pond anyway) and have looked on craigslist and found a nice sized preformed pond for 20 bucks 40 miles from me....sissy is your bog filled with riverrock? and I think I'll join my already made diy filter to the bog so that way there would be two forms of filtration to the pond.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
rebelangel_3733 said:
My test kit came yesterday so late last night I did the first test results were:
ph (to high to read? real blue)
high ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm

then this morning I did another test:
ph 7.6
high ph 8.4
ammonia 0 to 0.25
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm

My diy filter has lava rock on the bottom and quilt batting from there to about 1" to the top. I've been washing out the batting about every other day...but alas the green is winning. I believe I have to build a bog and that will probably occur this weekend as I took it off. I will try the osyster shell as we have two farm stores here in town. I believe my pond is alkaline from the way it sounds. 3/4 of the water in my pond came from good ol mother nature within a weeks time...I topped it off with our city water and that was now pretty much three weeks ago for the rain water but I didnt top it off or get the filter going until a two weeks ago. The mosquitos now have a nice home to grow in...

Rain, in of itself, has zero alkalinity. As it falls, then it may accrue some alkalinity, but it will not amount to much.

I would recommend ya getting a KH test kit (amazon) so that you are aware of your water's alkalinity. Also, I would test your source water as well.

The floating pea green algae is likely contributing to the pH swing.

With a pH swing between 8.4 and 7.6, then I would imagine your alkalinity is around 5~6 dKH.

Here is a thread that may help ya more in this regard: Raising KH & GH and lowering pH.

UV is the best answer for pea green water, but, with some patience and quilt batting, the algae will eventually get resolved.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have a bog but use plants in both my filters on top of the lava rock .I just trim the roots at least once a month but after colleen told me how much grasses absorb i put in more grasses last year and pond was great and water tested good every time .I have never owned a uv so can't say if they work or not .I just know they are not cheap and bulbs are not cheap .I sometimes wonder what they do kill because I installed one that came with my new whole house filter and funny thing is it said right on the box uv's kill bad and good bacteria and warn you to still test your water at least once a year from your well as we have high iron levels in all the wells in Axton and no filter out there removes iron that I could fine .When I put water in my pond I use the old filter that came from the house that was put in by the well driller ,I just attach it to my hose and pull water from the well through the hydrant that is attached straight to my well so I bypass that new filter and uv.I think he bought that filter at tractor supply because I have seen it there .I use one of the charcoal filters in it and run it slow .My filter I put in the house I added to sediment filters to it .That did away with a lot of the pink water stains

Ask a Question