Two Goldfish on their sides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site and would appreciate any advice to help my goldfish. I have 7 goldfish in my small pond in the UK. I've had it about 3 years with no problems, but a few weeks ago we had a cold spell and the pond was frozen over for a week. When it defrosted, one of my fish was on its side. When it starts to swim it seems to right itself and look fairly normal. When it stops swimming, it leans and kind of curls up (I've uploaded a photo. It's the fish second from the left, it was taken before the 2nd fish developed this problem). Weeks later it still hasn't recovered, and I've noticed a long string of white poo hanging from it several times. After another cold spell that ended last week, another fish is now fully on it's side when the ice defrosted. I thought it was dead, but just like the first fish, when it starts to swim it does manage to right itself a little bit. I've tried a fungus/bacteria infection treatment, starving them, feeding them (in temps above 7 degrees)...nothing is working! Any advice would be welcome.

Attachments

• 20221228_120738.jpg
    20221228_120738.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
UNFORTUNATELY that is not a do this fix. with now water tests provided, or a full view of the pond its just impossible to get a fell for what maybe going on. 50% OF THE time its water quality the other is parasites and disease again with poor water quality your disease and parasites will both have a hard time taking hold on your fish. We all know how slimy fish are well that slime is their first defense against them both. You can have a tank loaded with parasites but WITH good water quality and A healthy fish, they can hold them off. Your water quality looks pretty good. but something is up . i'd start with aeration, here in the states they sell a product for stressed out fish or to keep them from getting stressed like in shipping. Usually has aloe in the product. this also helps a fish rebuild its slime coating. And lastly small water changes but the water needs to be of comparable temps. TO MUCH OF A CHANGE CAN STRESS OUT THE FISH . adding the water through a airline tube is one way to do it slowly.
Adding chemicals to the water not knowing what the problem is , is close to the worst thing you can do. BUT if you feel you have nothing to loose the fish look that bad then i would get them out of the pond and put them in a hospital tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Crystalgirl - it's always sad when someone shows up here for the first time with fish issues, but we're glad you're here!

One thing we hear over and over and over:
I have 7 goldfish in my small pond in the UK. I've had it about 3 years with no problems,

Everyone assumes because everything HAS been fine that it will CONTINUE to be fine. The factor we neglect is that the changing variable is the bioload - your fish have grown bigger. More mass = more waste.

You've told us how old your pond is and how many fish you have and what type, but there are a few more important details we need to know:
1. how big is the pond?
2. what type of filtration?
3. any aeration?
4. recent changes?

#4 would be obvious - the weather and the ice. How deep is the pond? Did you maintain a small hole in the ice to allow for off-gassing? Did you have an aerator running?

Goldfish tend to be very hardy, but they are still affected by poor water quality and lack of oxygen - both of which can be the result of too many fish, too small of pond, with no aeration in an iced over pond. While your fish may have survived the same conditions in the past, bigger fish produce exponentially more waste than smaller fish. There will be a "point of no return" in every pond, no matter how small or large.

With a bit more information we may be able to help you figure this one out, but it may just be as simple as too many fish in too small of a pond - and there are only two ways to fix that: less fish or more pond!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll try and provide more info.

Size: My pond is a 250 litre moulded pond. It's about 45cm deep.

Water Quality: I've used AquaCare 5 in 1 Test strips a few times, and it's not showing anything particularly abnormal. The water is clear and there are several frogs living in it, which I thought was a good test of water quality. There's plenty of plants in the bottom that have survived the winter, and look really healthy.

Filtration/aeration: The filter unit is attached to the fountain which is solar powered so I can only have it in use weather permitting.

Recent changes: Nothing, except the cold temperatures.

Other info: I kept a small hole in the ice by melting the ice with a pan filled with boiling water. For that period there was no aerator running.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Crystal, that information helps. In my opinion, your pond, @66 gallons and 17 inches deep is entirely too small for your fish and frogs. It is barely large enough for one of your goldfish. What happens is we put a few tiny goldfish in a pond and given tender care they grow huge! The solar filter is inadequate. Clear water is not an indicator of healthy water. What are the test strip readings? Can you rehome any of your fish? Perhaps a friend with a large pond can take them? Is the 'icecap' finished for the winter season where you live or will you continue to have freezing weather? You melted the ice correctly by the way :) Let's look at how to keep a hole in the ice if you will have more freezing weather. By the way, you have some very pretty fish!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1674928863117.gif
@Crystalgirl
Sorry for the issues w/your fish. A filter should run 24/7 to keep the water good. You may need a larger filter now that your fish have grown. Never feed them in winter, wait till Spring when water temp is above 55 or so. Perhaps taking them indoors and slowly adding fresh water will help them get through this till you can correct your pond quality?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one fish that has gotten unbalanced during the winter. Last year he was head down, tail in the air. I thought he might not make it. But when it warmed up he was fine. I did not do any kind of intervention then.

He seemed fine all summer. Then this winter he was on his side and not swimming well for a t least a few days that I noticed, and he ended up in the skimmer. I took him inside to an indoor isolation tank (after acclimating him to the temp). As they felt better, they were bumping into the sides of the little 5 gallon tank, so I reacclimated to cold and put them back in the outdoor pond. So far they are still swimming level.

I am assuming it is some kind of swim bladder issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I will try taking them indoors to see if that helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Normally, if they are taken in for winter, they should stay there until spring. I'm surprised that Laaf's fish was able to go back outside with no problems.

Ask a Question