Two Interesting Visitors today

Reaction score
This morning I got a little visit from a Green Heron. Very cool few seconds of watching him.

THEN, this guy rolled in. Now this is going to be very unusual. First I saw a huge claw ..... what is that?

Crab1.jpg

Is that a ...... CRAB? Haha!

Hmmm, what? Is that a crab???

Crab2.jpg

Crab3.jpg

Times like this I wish I had photography skills like @RobAmy . But you get the picture. THERE WAS A CRAB IN MY POND! He might still be there.

This is a type of land crab that we have here. People eat them. They submerge themselves in water to wet their gills (I think that's what its called). And this time of year, rainy season, is known as crab season. Their holes get flooded, so they are all out running around.

I thought some of you might get a laugh off this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ha Ha, that is just so great. No chance of that around here. I would be walking around with a huge grin on my face if I saw that guy. Very cool (y)

Reaction score
How neat! Is he just a visitor or is he staying for dinner..................yum, yum, yum

LOL! No, just a visitor. Hopefully he will hang around. Be an interesting addition. Crabs are scavengers, so I don't think he would hunt my fish. Would he?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmmmm, I guess you'll be finding out! LOL Hopefully he likes your plecos as opposed to koi.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Crabs are pretty slow w/ those claws aren't they? I wouldn't think they would be able to catch a fish if they wanted to but I'm just guessing. Think they would eat a dead one laying on the bottom or maybe a half dead one.

Reaction score
Crabs are pretty slow w/ those claws aren't they? I wouldn't think they would be able to catch a fish if they wanted to but I'm just guessing. Think they would eat a dead one laying on the bottom or maybe a half dead one.

I don't have any dead or half dead ones, so maybe he will move on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very neat Priscilla! It is interesting to see the different kinds of visitors and frogs etc. from different areas we live in. So far nothing interesting here. I should be careful what I say as I could go out to the pond one day and find I had a visitor that left me without any fishies!

Ask a Question