Ugh, Tannins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In Portland Or we have had the driest summer in our recorded history. Yesterday we finally had much needed drenching rains - pretty exciting stuff for us! This morning I went out to check the newly "remodeled" pond and it looks like a pot of strongly brewed tea. YUCK! On the bright side it does make for some lovely reflections. Time to get the nets up.

Attachments

• IMG_4724-1.JPG
    IMG_4724-1.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 200
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, from what I hear as long as the water conditions are right (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and what not)...tea color is okay. True nice pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In Portland Or we have had the driest summer in our recorded history. Yesterday we finally had much needed drenching rains - pretty exciting stuff for us! This morning I went out to check the newly "remodeled" pond and it looks like a pot of strongly brewed tea. YUCK! On the bright side it does make for some lovely reflections. Time to get the nets up.

Hi. Glad you got some rain. From what I hear the smoke now is pretty much gone now and you folks can enjoy the outdoors again. I have had tea colored water in my old pond from my neighbor's cottonwood tree that dropped leaves into it. With enough water changes it eventually went away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Bacteria will eventually consume the humic substances (which includes tannins) and Telion is right, the tea colour provides some anti algal and antibacterial properties to your pond water in the meantime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had bright green water, then one week it cleared up, now I have brown water. For me personally I like the brown tinted water as it looks very natural. I have a lot to learn about water quality so I just keep on testing, so long as tests are good, fish are doing well I leave it alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Algae control is a good silver lining. I don't mind light brown, but right now the color is so dark I can't see below about 8". I know it will clear up eventually with charcoal and water changes. I won't worry too much about it since leaf fall is about to begin and I will put up the netting this coming week. At least the wildfire smoke is gone and we don't have hurricanes to worry about! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Make sure you have good water circulation and aeration - the bacteria will be busy.
Also, the humic substances protect your fish from sunburn (mechanically, not chemically) that can happen if the water is too clear and the fish have nowhere to hide.

Ask a Question