Ugh, Tannins!

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Grin4joy, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Grin4joy

Grin4joy

In Portland Or we have had the driest summer in our recorded history. Yesterday we finally had much needed drenching rains - pretty exciting stuff for us! This morning I went out to check the newly "remodeled" pond and it looks like a pot of strongly brewed tea. YUCK! On the bright side it does make for some lovely reflections. Time to get the nets up.

Attached Files:

Grin4joy, Sep 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Grin4joy

Telion

Welcome, from what I hear as long as the water conditions are right (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and what not)...tea color is okay. True nice pics.

Telion, Sep 14, 2018
    MitchM likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Grin4joy

CometKeith

Hi. Glad you got some rain. From what I hear the smoke now is pretty much gone now and you folks can enjoy the outdoors again. I have had tea colored water in my old pond from my neighbor's cottonwood tree that dropped leaves into it. With enough water changes it eventually went away.

CometKeith, Sep 14, 2018
    Mmathis and Grin4joy like this.
  4. Grin4joy

Lisak1

Very true - there are definitely worse things!

Lisak1, Sep 14, 2018
    Grin4joy likes this.
  5. Grin4joy

MitchM

Bacteria will eventually consume the humic substances (which includes tannins) and Telion is right, the tea colour provides some anti algal and antibacterial properties to your pond water in the meantime.

MitchM, Sep 14, 2018
    Stephen Noble and Grin4joy like this.
  6. Grin4joy

Tara

I had bright green water, then one week it cleared up, now I have brown water. For me personally I like the brown tinted water as it looks very natural. I have a lot to learn about water quality so I just keep on testing, so long as tests are good, fish are doing well I leave it alone.

Tara, Sep 14, 2018
    Telion and Grin4joy like this.
  7. Grin4joy

Grin4joy

Algae control is a good silver lining. I don't mind light brown, but right now the color is so dark I can't see below about 8". I know it will clear up eventually with charcoal and water changes. I won't worry too much about it since leaf fall is about to begin and I will put up the netting this coming week. At least the wildfire smoke is gone and we don't have hurricanes to worry about! :)

Grin4joy, Sep 15, 2018 at 4:56 AM
    CometKeith, Telion and Stephen Noble like this.
  8. Grin4joy

MitchM

Make sure you have good water circulation and aeration - the bacteria will be busy.
    Also, the humic substances protect your fish from sunburn (mechanically, not chemically) that can happen if the water is too clear and the fish have nowhere to hide.

MitchM, Sep 15, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question