UGH!! Waterfall Foam!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I realize this thread is over a year old, but I would like to add my 2 cents for future ponders.

First off, I really like the design. I would like to see how the water flows. It's nice how the OP set up the flat stones at different levels and angles. Very cool!

And the foam....I wouldn't paint or stain anything. Eventually, as we all know, the stones and foam will be covered with moss, algae, etc. I also stick creeping Jenny, Parrot Feather and moss I find in my yard all around and in my waterfall.

I would use a keyhole (Sheetrock) saw on the heavier globs and a razor knife for more detailed carving. I wouldn't worry too much. Again, it will all be naturally hidden in due time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw at auguascape that they now make a grey and brown colored foam .I wondered because I did not see it on their sight but it was on a table there with a sign in front of it that it was new

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’m glad someone posted this thread. I have come up with the same problem as the OP. I bought the exact same brand of foam from Home Depot and it does say right on the can that you need to trim and paint it. However watching YouTube videos of the Aquascape kind of foam, it does not suggest cutting or painting it, but just filling it with gravel and dust. Unfortunately mine is already cured. I guess I will just leave it and see what happens. If worst comes to worst and it deteriorates over time, I’ll redo it with that other brand that doesn’t need to be painted. Thanks for all the comments!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I’m glad someone posted this thread. I have come up with the same problem as the OP. I bought the exact same brand of foam from Home Depot and it does say right on the can that you need to trim and paint it. However watching YouTube videos of the Aquascape kind of foam, it does not suggest cutting or painting it, but just filling it with gravel and dust. Unfortunately mine is already cured. I guess I will just leave it and see what happens. If worst comes to worst and it deteriorates over time, I’ll redo it with that other brand that doesn’t need to be painted. Thanks for all the comments!
If it's any comfort, I think you will find that the foam starts to get grungy - and look more natural! - over time. I did the whole disguising with dirt and pebbles and such, but I was more successful in some areas than others. I forgot to get to some of the foam "bloops" before they cured and felt like you did. To my surprise, the moisture around the pond made some algae grow on it. Between that and the dirt and dust in the air, it really blends in and isn't very noticeable at all. Give it some time and you might be pleasantly surprised!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And honestly, some of my more exposed foam has started to, not deteriorate so much, as just kind of lose its bond with the rocks. So we've had to re-do a few spots as the years have gone by. Every now and then I'll find a chunk of it floating or near the pond and wonder "now where did THAT come from?" Usually it's nothing critical - like all first time pond builders, we used way more foam than we needed, so we can afford to lose a few chunks now and again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I never use any foam.
For the waterfall, I form the liner (that's under the rocks) so it is pitched and concave shaped toward the pond and has (pitched) ledges to stack the rocks on. This is the key to a good waterfall, the liner base. The shape is important. Any water that hits this area has no where to go but into the pond. Then stack the rocks so they are locked in and pitched toward the pond. I use larger rocks on the bottom and all of them are flat with smooth edges. I never allow sharp edged rocks near the pond.
I feel no need for foam or any other adhesive.
This of course is all my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I have used waterfall foam in 2 of my waterfalls and have not painted either. After a few months of operation the black becomes less visible due to the algae or ferns or anything else that grows on it. So my advice is don't paint it. The rocks you have look nice and the water flowing over them will be very satisfying for you to look at I am sure!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I feel no need for foam or any other adhesive.

Waterfall foam is not used as an adhesive - the purpose is to direct water over the rocks rather than allowing it to flow behind the rocks. You fill all the gaps to force the water to go where you want it, rather than allowing it to take the path of least resistance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Waterfall foam is not used as an adhesive - the purpose is to direct water over the rocks rather than allowing it to flow behind the rocks. You fill all the gaps to force the water to go where you want it, rather than allowing it to take the path of least resistance.
I hear you... It's meant to be a filler.
I don't know...maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist.
I strive to set the waterfall up so the path of least resistance, as you say, is the actual waterfall.
Due to the pitch of the liner... if a small unnoticeable amount of water does go between or under the rocks, it can only return to the pond anyway.
I'd rather not rely on foam to guide the water.
No offense meant. But that's me....

Reaction score
If it says to paint it then look for something that doesn't require painting. As Addy1 said it will turn color on its own and get covered with algae. There might be another solution, can you post a picture of the complete pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No offense meant. But that's me....

No offense taken. And yes, the water will all end up back in the pond either way. But you can get almost the entire volume of water over the rocks when you use foam. There is no way, no matter how skilled the waterfall construction, that you can achieve the same without using foam. But if you're happy with how your waterfall looks, that's all that matters!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All, I have a question about the way the OP put in the waterfall liner. Is the bottom edge of it long enough so that water won't wick back up? How much of an overhang should there be?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi All, I have a question about the way the OP put in the waterfall liner. Is the bottom edge of it long enough so that water won't wick back up? How much of an overhang should there be?

The overhang is less important that the liner going back up underneath. You want to make sure that extends far enough up under the overlapping liner coming down. Water won't wick up the liner hanging down, but it will wick up the liner going up the wall, if that makes sense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
How far will water wick back up between two layers of liner?

Another way to trim the foam is with a course wire wheel. Works great but gets the bits everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
It took me forever to get it off my hands...............I thought, oh I'll be careful, I don't need gloves.......big mistake! hahao_O

Ask a Question