j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lots of good nutrient sucking plants would help and good water movement from a waterfall or fountain perhaps? Sedge plants are good suckers! I don't have that issue and I have lots of water movement and plants. Otherwise for now you can stick a long handled clean toilet brush in there and wrap the algae around and drag it out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lots of good nutrient sucking plants would help and good water movement from a waterfall or fountain perhaps? Sedge plants are good suckers! I don't have that issue and I have lots of water movement and plants. Otherwise for now you can stick a long handled clean toilet brush in there and wrap the algae around and drag it out.

I have a fountain and there seems to be good water movement
I do pull the Algae out but just wondering why I always seem to get a lot of it returning and also why the hogwurt seems to have diminished as the water seems nice and clear

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like you have hair algae. It's ugly to us chokes out other plants but in time with adequate filtration the pond will maure and it will lessen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a one year old pond. Lots of string algae (it completely covers the bottom and shelves), they had recommended an Ionizer but with small fish, newts, snails- I rather try to do something more natural.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many gallons
how many fish
What filtration do you use
How often and how much do you feed.
City or well water.
Full picture

Reaction score
Country
United States
its 10x14 feet and 2.5feet deep (not sure how many gallons) About 100 minnows and 1-2 small sunfish (some newts). I use an aerator which has been on all winter (8hours a day outside the winter) and a filter, waterfall. Its town water originally which is normally good. They want to do a drain for sludge etc, but really isnt much waste. I figured I would get some trapdoor for that. Just trying to decide best solution for the actual algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your statement and a filter is concerning. It's like saying and the human body has a heart. It's singularly the most important part. Does it do mechanicle filtering or just bio or both?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it sounds like you were wise and stayed with small fish and do you feed them? IF SO I WOULD STOP. the minnows can eat the bio film and minute insects etc in the pond. and the sun fish can eat the minnows as population control. Maybe drop them a little worm every now and then. the algae can just be your pond has not matured as yet it can take some time it too me close to two years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Is it possible that this is just a Spring Thing? (Or as I like to say, "Sprang Thang.")
My newer pond has a lot of string algae in the bog and around the emerging lily leaves. I think the increased sun and warmth, combined with a filter that is not quite awake for the season yet, have caused the extra algae. I know I have a good bit of blown-in leaves and such from the winter, too. I will get those out in the month ahead, when we have a really warm day and I'm brave enough to get in!
But - PondNYW - maybe your bio falls filter is just slow to get going for the season?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some people recommended underwater submerged plants but there are mixed reviews regarding it actually controlling algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Some people recommended underwater submerged plants but there are mixed reviews regarding it actually controlling algae
Welcome. I've always found the submerged plants to be messy and ineffective. I built a bog for my current pond and have never regretted it - no maintenance and it actually works great. Plus it's a lab for experimenting with more fun plants.
A bog can be in a container or in/on the ground and whatever size you like. Just provide it with a slow flow of pond water that percolates up through gravel and plant roots and back to the pond. No chemicals or filters to mess with.
Best of luck.

Ask a Question