Recurring underwater algae

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
This year my pond has developed a second occurrences of underwater algae. This second round of algae is odd for my pond especially given it is in shade and the air temperature has not yet been extreme. After the requisite doses of algaecide the algae dissipates. I am running both pump and presssurized filter unit 24/7. There has been more fresh mown grass and green leaves blown into the pond over the past month or two due to high winds and rain.

What causes an increase in underwater algae?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
HTH said:
It is always easier to give advice for ponds we don't own Lou. What would you post if it was another member asking.
I would suggest progressively warmer sun light reacting with the nutrients algae needs to grow. Materials like dying plant materia and yard fertilizer. Just moments ago I looked and saw the pond receives direct sunlight from the east before the sun is shaded by trees.

Thanks Mr. Wizard, aka HTH, you helped solve my own question. (I really enjoyed watching the Mr.Wizard show way, way, way back in the day.)

( happy Saturday morning smile )

Ask a Question