Barlus underwater camera

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My dream came true - my kids got me an underwater camera for Christmas and one of my boys (the smart one - haha) installed it for me last weekend. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! So fun to watch the fish from a whole new angle AND I can watch them remotely, too... so relaxing to peak in on them from work and show people why I'm always wishing I was at home instead.

Now the question - the camera has a light, which is great for night viewing. First night in the pond it just turned itself on like magic. Cool! Night two - no light. Same with night three... four... etc. So I'm online reading and researching - the manual is garbage, tech support is about the same - and I've gotten as far as figuring out that there's software that needs to be installed on the computer to control the light (and I'm guessing other features). There's a thumb drive in the box that supposedly contains a good manual and other instructions, but I don't even have a port for it on my computer. (Mac user here.) There's no app for the camera - my son downloaded a couple of third party apps for viewing IP cameras and we picked the one that functions the best. But naturally those apps don't control anything camera related. From my reading it appears the camera can be set for the light to go on when it gets dark or to turn it on and off remotely. You can also control the brightness of the light, among other things. Well - you can if you can access the software!

So I chatted with their tech support (which happens via email, so you can imagine how fast that goes) and "Mike" (they're all named "Mike", if that tells you anything) directed me to download a "VMS" from their website. They had a Mac version, so I tried it - my computer refuses to download it because it's from an unknown developer. "Mike" told me he's had other Mac users tell him the same thing but the software downloaded anyway - "just click OK" he says. Well my choices are "Cancel" and "Eject". No "OK" Mike. He finally ended up telling me to ask my son for help as he is clearly smarter than me. Which is true, but he doesn't live here.

ANYWAY long story short - does anyone use a Barlus underwater camera and know how to access the software to operate it? The camera itself is great - great picture, very heavy duty solid piece of equipment, installation was relatively easy - for my very smart son! I just need to figure out how to work it!

I did suggest to "Mike" that his company gets busy working on an easy to use app for what Is otherwise a good product - he thanked me most profusely for my suggestion. Haha! Who sells an electronic device in this day and age without an app to operate it for heaven's sake? I work everything in my house from my phone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How maddening. Sounds like what I experienced with a trailcam so I returned it and got a brand with better English support.
Sure hope you get it worked out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Were you listening to my convo with my tech guy at work this morning? He heard the first three words out of my mouth and handed me one of these!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
typical apple got to make it difficult. i should have an apple i have been accused of not playing nice in the sand box

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah.. thanks! The dongle worked, but it's good to know there's a workaround. The reason the security exists though is exactly what I was worried about - it's a Chinese company that makes this product. We all know about Chinese viruses. :eek:

Seriously though - malware is no joke. From all the reviews I read, this appears to be trustworthy and clean, so I installed it.

Now I have to figure out how to use it...

Watching the cam right now on the VERY LARGE TV that my husband loves dearly - appears to be some spawning activity happening this morning. I don't know if I should keep watching or give them their privacy.

We have learned that we have a good number of fish that we didn't even know were in the pond. We always see a few dark fish - babies from the previous year - but being able to see them up close you realize there are way more than you think. Highly recommend an underwater camera to anyone who's on the fence - it's great fun. Can't wait until th freezing days of winter to check in on the underwater activity!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't wait until th freezing days of winter to check in on the underwater activity!
I always keep the night led off, with it on the lens gets , even faster, covered up with growth. Esp in winter if you can not pull out and clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh good to know! If I figure out how to operate this software I'll be able to turn it on and off at will, supposedly. My husband was worried about it being on all night - you know, it may cost a penny a week in electricity. Haha!

How often do you find you have to clean the lens @addy1 ? I made sure we put it where it was deep enough but I can still reach it from the outside of the pond if need be.

Meant to add - Barlus apparently makes a camera with a small windshield wiper blade just for that reason. Very high end model but still... quite clever!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Barlus apparently makes a camera with a small windshield wiper blade just for that reason.
The stuff sort of sticks, unless it is wiped often. I bought one of those aquarium cleaners, stick with a non scratch pad on the end, reach down and scrub. I also had mine so I could just pull it out when needed. Right now not running, some critter chewed through the line and I have rerun the coax line (100 feet).

It looks like yours might be a good replacement, being ethernet cable. I have a ethernet switch down there, could just add it to the switch.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is highly rated, but being that it's our first foray into underwater cameras I can only say that we find the quality to be very good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 which model did you get theres $135 to $1300. 2mp to 8 mp and 20 fps to 120 fps

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's the IP68 I believe. I'm sure my kids bought me the very best model. :LOL:

Just kidding - I think it was around $300.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1P68 IS A SCALE OF HOW WATERPROOF IT IS. BUT 300 HELPS I WAS LOOKING AT THE 700

Ask a Question