The Case against underwater oxygenators

Reaction score
Country
United States
This guy makes some good points against putting oxygenators underwater in your pond. His explanation is from about 1:10 to 6:10. What are your thoughts and experiences? Do you agree with him?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I agree with his points. I would not say he is against but wants people understand the natural processes and not take everything at face value. Another example is vacation/weekend feeders marketed for aquariums. People, usually beginners, think the fish are going to starve if they miss a few days of feeding when in reality they do fine without. Same for our ponds but even less of an issue with natural food available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't see any link to the info you're referencing, but my opinion regarding underwater oxygenating plants is that they wouldn't last a hot minute in my pond before my fish ripped them to shreds. 🤷‍♀️

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't see any link to the info you're referencing, but my opinion regarding underwater oxygenating plants is that they wouldn't last a hot minute in my pond before my fish ripped them to shreds. 🤷‍♀️
You just click on those first words he posted "This guy" and the vid pops up.
Here it is, then just click "Watch on Youtube:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I can't even get those underwater plants to grow in my pond as my fish eat them up faster than they can grow. Although I do see one stalk of Hornwort coming up after not seeing it for years! I'm gonna take it out and put it in a pot and put it on my plant ledge next Spring so I don't disturb it if I need to ever net out gunk off the bottom of my pond. Baby fish like to hide in it and I just like the looks of it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't even get those underwater plants to grow in my pond as my fish eat them up faster than they can grow. Although I do see one stalk of Hornwort coming up after not seeing it for years! I'm gonna take it out and put it in a pot and put it on my plant ledge next Spring so I don't disturb it if I need to ever net out gunk off the bottom of my pond. Baby fish like to hide in it and I just like the looks of it!
I like the thought of a more natural looking hiding place for fish. I'm worried about what he said about the plants sucking up all the oxygen at night and leaving the fish gasping for air in the morning though. That seems extreme - have any of you seen it happen and know it was from the plants?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That is typically only going to happen in a severe plant or algae overgrowth situation. If you have your pumps running, waterfalls, etc., the water movement will oxygenate the water preventing depletion. The larger the fish and the warmer the water, the more susceptibility there will be. Folks with heavily stocked ponds will often use air stones and fountains in addition to the water pumps to help alleviate the issue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very much so, unless like @JRS said you have a severe overgrowth of plants in your pond. And in that case ANY overgrowth of plants could cause the same problem. Too many lily pads can choke out a pond, too.
Makes sense. I'm not likely to load up with lily pads anyway - I want to see the pond I'll work so hard to build. If they want to hide or get some shade, they can get into a plant at the bottom, or duck into a fish cave.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would plan on building a lily area 2 feet deep and as wide and long as you can . you can never have too many water lilies
I have heard too much surface of your pond covered by water lilies can cause oxygen issues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@j.w That's one time id say don't believe everything you read online there's no way a slow growing plant is going to create water issues. or lack of conditions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen some pretty thick lily pad overgrowth posted here @GBBUDD... will they cut off the oxygen to the pond? Perhaps not, but they can definitely overtake a pond. I'd hesitate to call them "slow growing". It's a simple matter to remove the excess pads, but if the tubers are left to their own devices you may have some issues down the road!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
T
I've seen some pretty thick lily pad overgrowth posted here @GBBUDD... will they cut off the oxygen to the pond? Perhaps not, but they can definitely overtake a pond. I'd hesitate to call them "slow growing". It's a simple matter to remove the excess pads, but if the tubers are left to their own devices you may have some issues down the road!
TO ME THOSE O2 problems are fox glove, celery, water cress those literaly grow a half a foot a day. they are the fast growers yes they stems can shoot up close to a foot over night if you throw the plant to deeper water but the pad never need thinning three or four times a year like the above plants

Ask a Question