Upgrading from fountain pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I currently have a https://www.pontec.com/en/pontec-underwater-filter-with-fountain-ponduett-5000.html
The pond is around 1100 gallons. It keeps the water clean, but when the pump gets dirty or sort of clogged where the in there then I gotta pull it out and clean it. That is not the greatest experience, cause then I'm disturbing the fish, I gotta pay attention to the power cable.

In terms of maintenance it is not the best, but the water is crystal clear at all times so I have no issues with that. I've had it for almost a year now, and besides the maintenance issues not much else to say about it.
57119_PF_PontecPonDuett5000_002_E.jpg

I have been thinking of moving to a filter/pump such as https://www.pontec.com/en/pond-filter-multiclear-set-8000.html
This would I think reduce my maintenance, and is probably more fit to handle 1100 gallons with fish than the one I currently have. But I am not really sure, can't find much info about what kind of pump/filter is the best. Some seem to suggest a diy bog filter, and I suppose I could build one, but I'm not sure of the details on that. I am just looking to upgrade to something that at the end of the day would reduce my maintenance of the pond.
50239_pf_pontecmulticlearset8000_012_f.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
No direct personal experience with those filters but I would agree with your need to upgrade. One option might be to use a coarser filter sponge so it does not clog as often, but this does allow more fines to circulate and your pond size is the max your current filter is rated for.

Filter media out of the pond would be easier to clean on your proposed unit and the pump specs say it can handle some debris which should help.

Raising the the pump off the bottom also can help avoid settling debris. I have also fit matala filter material around an intake to catch the larger debris such as leaves to keep them from clogging the pump so fast.

Bog filters are the best long term low maintenance filtration systems, especially for eliminating green water algae, and though you would not need the filter box and UV, you would still need a pump that does not clog all the time. You could always upgrade your filter for now and work on designing and adding a bog down the road.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
No direct personal experience with those filters but I would agree with your need to upgrade. One option might be to use a coarser filter sponge so it does not clog as often, but this does allow more fines to circulate and your pond size is the max your current filter is rated for.

Filter media out of the pond would be easier to clean on your proposed unit and the pump specs say it can handle some debris which should help.

Raising the the pump off the bottom also can help avoid settling debris. I have also fit matala filter material around an intake to catch the larger debris such as leaves to keep them from clogging the pump so fast.

Bog filters are the best long term low maintenance filtration systems, especially for eliminating green water algae, and though you would not need the filter box and UV, you would still need a pump that does not clog all the time. You could always upgrade your filter for now and work on designing and adding a bog down the road.
I will probably go with this MultiClear 8000 set for now since it seems less complicated, but in theory and in practice it seems that buying a pump with a good flow rate and building a bog is probably more effective.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
DIY filters are the only way to go. You might try a Skippy filter which is relatively maintenance free, just don't clean it. The pictures you posted, you have to clean those, a lot. The best filter is a stream or waterfall with gravel. The easiest filter to clean is a tray with foam that you put under the outlet and can pull out and rinse.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DIY filters are the only way to go. You might try a Skippy filter which is relatively maintenance free, just don't clean it. The pictures you posted, you have to clean those, a lot. The best filter is a stream or waterfall with gravel. The easiest filter to clean is a tray with foam that you put under the outlet and can pull out and rinse.
Wow haven't seen you here in ages
!
Welcome can.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have gone ahead with the MultiClear 8000 Set, I think it's plenty at the moment, either way if it does not work out well I can always upgrade to a bog filter. I have set it up to be sort of waterfall with gravel, so I suppose the bacteria there should from what I understand help to some degree.

Today I had changed much around the pond, made a clear border with gravel, setup this set properly. I like it, I can see the fish now, compared to before the fountain pump took up so much space you couldn't see much. This sort of filter is very similar to this skippy filter you mentioned, if I'm not wrong? Maybe that one has much more area for the bacteria to grow.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
This sort of filter is very similar to this skippy filter you mentioned, if I'm not wrong?
Correct. Skippys are home made, from various containers and media, allowing customization and avoiding the often high cost of manufactured filters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I currently have a https://www.pontec.com/en/pontec-underwater-filter-with-fountain-ponduett-5000.html
The pond is around 1100 gallons. It keeps the water clean, but when the pump gets dirty or sort of clogged where the in there then I gotta pull it out and clean it. That is not the greatest experience, cause then I'm disturbing the fish, I gotta pay attention to the power cable.

In terms of maintenance it is not the best, but the water is crystal clear at all times so I have no issues with that. I've had it for almost a year now, and besides the maintenance issues not much else to say about it.
57119_PF_PontecPonDuett5000_002_E.jpg

I have been thinking of moving to a filter/pump such as https://www.pontec.com/en/pond-filter-multiclear-set-8000.html
This would I think reduce my maintenance, and is probably more fit to handle 1100 gallons with fish than the one I currently have. But I am not really sure, can't find much info about what kind of pump/filter is the best. Some seem to suggest a diy bog filter, and I suppose I could build one, but I'm not sure of the details on that. I am just looking to upgrade to something that at the end of the day would reduce my maintenance of the pond.
View attachment 156785
The short coming of that type of filter is the cleaning. Every time you do your maintenance and clean the sponges your also destroying the bacteria that has taken time to colonize. If you use chlorinated water from the hose that is a double negative. USING POND WATER TO rince THE HEAVY SEDIMENT FROM THE PADS is what will give your system its ability to work at its best.

Ask a Question