Urgent help needed please

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and pond keeping in general because my dad just bought a new house which has a pond in the garden. Problem is he works month on/month of abroad, so during one month the fish are not looked after so attentively (somebody comes by to feed them but that's it). I popped round yesterday and there were two dead fish, a large koi carp and a smaller one (not sure what breed), and the rest of the larger ones were all gathered around the point were the filtered water comes into the pond but the smaller ones seemed to have no problem with swimming about. The water coming in was only a small trickle, is this enough? I'm going round again today, does anybody have any advice on what the problem could be? I'm thinking not enough oxygen , but if it is, how do I oxygenate it quickly?
Thanks in advance, Adam.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like the filter is dirty and plugged up, if it is coming in as a trickle, do you know how to clean it?

Do you have an air pump you could use to put a air stone in the water? quickest way to get some aeration going.

how big is the pond? if you know. Can you do a small water change, the water may be bad for the fish, ie. not filtered enough and ammonia etc getting high. If you use city water, not well, make sure you add some dechlorinate stuff to the water.

The bigger fish need the air more than the little fish, they will be the first to die.

do you have a test kit? or your dad, can you test the water, post the results we can help you out if we know the numbers.

Reaction score
Personally I'm not too sure how to clean it but my dad cleaned it out about 2/3 weeks ago, will it need doing again soon? I don't have an air pump no, how expensive are they to buy? I'm not sure on the exact size of the pond as it was already there when the house was bought, but to put a generic label on it, I would say medium.
Is it ok to put hosepipe water into the pond? I was thinking of putting it at the bottom and turning in on, just to stir up the water and add some cleaner stuff.
Thanks for the quick reply by the way :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no problem if you put in a hose, and it is city water, you need to get rid of the chlorine in the water.

You could get a cheap air pump from a fish store, anything will help

You could put the hose in and put the water flow on real slow do a trickle change, but if the fish are gasping now they prob need a larger change of water quickly.
The people feeding the fish might be giving them too much and fouling the water.

The filter could easily be dirty, depends on the type, some can clog up fast. It the water coming out a lot slower than what you see when your dad is there?

Reaction score
It seems to be coming out roughly the same speed, but originally it was slow anyway. The piping between the pond and the shed is underground so it could have a break in it without us knowing which is why there is only a trickle coming out of one of the two pipes. So my best bet is to buy an air pump, and put some hosepipe water in, just to shore it up until he is back home on Monday? And how would I de-chlorinate the hose water? Just put it into the pond and then put some de-chlorinator in there, or do it before adding to the pond?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can add it as you add water to the pond. I would do a decent water change ie 10% - 20 % add the decholor, estimate the amount of water you are replacing and add extra decholor. Check after you do this to make sure they are not still at the surface. That is a sign they are low on o2 in the water. Also don't stir up the bottom muck unless your dad cleaned it well or it has been cleaned, Keep the hose high or mid water. If there is a lot of old muck on the bottom that can kill the fish if it gets stirred up.

Sounds like his filter is not working well, it should be more than a trickle. Do you know what kind of filter? The pipes might be fine, it might just be the filter media plugged up.

Yep change the water, add a aerator, that will fluff the water until monday.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks I just went up there, bought an air pump and added some new water with the hose and some de-chlorinator. Should hold ou till Monday. Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
glad we could help. Have your dad check the filter well, it does not sound like it is working correctly, There should be good flow coming out of it.

Reaction score
You're most likely messing around treating a symptom while your fish are dying. The biggest danger is high ammonia. You should test the water for ammonia before doing anything else. The test can be purchased at a pet store as a kit of different tests.

If your pond does have ammonia you should add an ammonia binder that you can buy at the pet store. It comes in a bottle and you dump it into the pond. It almost instantly turns toxic ammonia into safer ammonia.

Ammonia makes the fish unable to breathe. Increasing O2 in the has little effect since the ammonia stops the fish from using the O2. I have no way to determine if you do have an ammonia problem but since that is the most critical problem that is where you start. After you eliminate that problem you'll have time to learn about water changes and messing around with filters. If it is an ammonia problem I'd expect nearly all of the remaining fish to be dead within a few hours unless the water is tested and ammonia binder added.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The fish that died, died yesterday, today none where dead per the poster. He is doing a water change with dechlor and adding air.

The water change with help if the ammonia level is too high,
AMMONIA
dot_clear.gif
Ammonia, NH[size="-2"]3[/size], measured in parts per million (ppm), is the first measurement to determine the "health" of the biologic converter. Ammonia should not be detectable in a pond with a "healthy" bio-converter. The ideal and normal measurement of Ammonia is zero. When ammonia is dissolved in water, it is partially ionized depending upon the pH and temperature. The ionized ammonia is called Ammonium and is not toxic to the fish. As the pH drops and the temperature decreases, the ionization and Ammonium increases which decreases the toxicity. As a general guideline for a water temperature of 70°F., most Koi would be expected to tolerate an Ammonia level of 1 ppm if the pH was 7.0, or even as high as 10.0 if the pH was 6.0. At a pH of 8.0, just 0.1 ppm could be dangerous.
dot_clear.gif
Test kits are available in two basic types. Both read the total of Ammonia and Ammonium, so without knowing the temperature and pH, the toxicity cannot be determined. Suffice it to say that the only good Ammonia reading is zero. The Nessler method type test normally uses drops with a colormetric chart. The Nessler test detects both free Ammonia/Ammonium and also that chemically bound with anti-Ammonia chemical treatments (more about these later). The Salicylate type test is a dual step, using liquid, pill or powder also with an associated color chart. It takes longer to perform and measures only the free Ammonia/Ammonium. Since only the free Ammonia is harmful to the fish, the Nessler test can be misleading under certain conditions but provides additional information under others. The recommended test kit should be able to detect 0-1 ppm of Ammonia particularly for ponds with normal pH levels above 7.0. A wider range kit, 0 - 5 ppm, would also be useful, particularly for those ponds with a typical pH of under 7.0. An Ammonia test kit is considered to be a requirement for all pond keepers.
Effects:
dot_clear.gif
Ammonia tends to block oxygen transfer from the gills to the blood and can cause both immediate and long term gill damage. The mucous producing membranes can be destroyed, reducing both the external slime coat and damaging the internal intestinal surfaces. Fish suffering from Ammonia posioning usually appear sluggish, often at the surface as if gasping for air.
Source:
dot_clear.gif
Ammonia is a gas primarily released from the fish gills as a metabolic waste from protein breakdown, with some lesser secondary sources such as bacterial action on solid wastes and urea.
Control:
dot_clear.gif
Ammonia is removed by bacterial action in the bio-converter and some is directly assimilated by the algae in the pond. Nitrosonomas bacteria consume the Ammonia and produce Nitrites as a waste product. A significant portion of this bacterial action can occur on the walls of the pond as well as in the bio-converter. Ammonia readings may increase with a sudden increase in bio-converter load until the bacterial colony grows to accept the added material. This can happen following the addition of a large number of new fish to a pond or during the spring as the water temperature increases. Fish activity can often increase faster following a temperature increase than the bacterial action does. A bio-converter that becomes partially obstructed with waste and/or develops channels through the media may operate at a reduced effectiveness that can also cause the Ammona levels to increase.
Treatment:
dot_clear.gif
Chemical treatments to counteract Ammonia toxcity are available commercially under various trade names. These treatments, most of which are based on Formaldehyde, form a chemical bond with the Ammonia that prevents it from being harmful to the fish. They do not remove it from the pond. The bio converter does the actual removal. Although most of these products use a dosage of 50 ml per 100 gallons to chemically bind up to 1 ppm of Ammonia, be sure and check the manufacturer's directions before use. Note that Nessler type test kits will still show chemically bound Ammonia to be present until the bio-converter bacteria actually consume it. If a pond has a healthy bio-converter, there is not only no need to treat with Ammonia binding chemical agents, it is better not to use them at all.
When Ammonia is detected (assuming a pH of about 7.5):
  1. Increase aeration to maximum. Add supplemental air if possible.
  2. Stop feeding the fish if detected in an established pond, reduce amount fed by half if starting up a new bio-converter/pond.
  3. Check an established pond bio-converter for probable clean out requirement.
  4. For an ammonia level of 0.1 ppm, conduct a 10% water change out. For a level of 1.0 ppm, conduct a 25% change out. CAUTION: If the tap water has a higher pH than that of the pond, adding the replacement water may make the situation worse.
  5. Chemically treat for twice the amount of Ammonia measured.
  6. Consider transferring fish if the Ammonia level reaches 2.5 ppm.
  7. If starting up a new bio-converter/pond, discontinue use of any UV Sterilizers, Ozone Generators, and Foam Fractionators (Protein Skimmers).
  8. Retest in 12 to 24 hours.
  9. Under Emergency conditions only, consider chemically lowering the pH one-half unit (but not below 6.0).

Reaction score
Also...with the symptoms described doing a water change without testing the water first is very dangerous for the fish. Stuff in the new water can react with stuff currently in the pond making it even more toxic.

I will describe why, but because this is all new to you it may not make much sense. There are 2 kinds of ammonia, we just call them toxic and safe. These two ammonia change back and forth depending on different things like water temperature and pH (acid in the water). If the pond currently has low pH (common for untested ponds) and you add new water which increases the pH you will make more toxic ammonia.

That is one reason why doing stuff without testing the water first...before doing anything...is a really dangerous move.

Reaction score
Adding air is fine as long as you're not wasting time messing with that when you should be testing the water.

Here's a vet's advice. Check #8.

And here he explains some basic stuff...

Ask a Question