Please help urgent

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just joined for this....renting a cabin with a 1500 sq foot man made clay pond with rainbow trout... very hot here for Canada...30-34 degrees....fish is belly up but still trying to swim a bit and breathing. Help... what can I do to save him... tried CPR...

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello Sarah- Is there any type of circulation on the pond, water pump or aerator? It sounds like low oxygen level due to the heat.
Thanks for responding! That guy died :( Another one swimming close to us on the beach... which is what the first guy did before dying. No shade. There is a pump, keeps it moving, slightly. About 75 degrees.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Now the 2nd I'm holding under water, still breathing, barely alive. Isnt there anything I can do. I really love fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Sarah. You must be out east.
It's only 4C here this morning!
Trout need cold water that is well oxygenated, I don't think there was anything you could have done.
Also, it may not be legal to transport live native fish where you live. I can't do that here.
That pond probably shouldn't have been set up like that in the first place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
As trout are Very sensitive to temp I am surprised this didn’t happen sooner or the fish have not been there long. It is not your fault. You did everything you could do. Not the greatest introduction to pond keeping eh!? Let it pass.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Sarah - welcome to the GPF. So sorry you had to be a witness to some really poor pond management. As has been said - those fish probably shouldn't have been in that pond in the first place. Maybe it was done just to enhance the rental price - "cabin on a trout pond!" Were the intending for you to be able to fish in the pond?

Ask a Question