UV bulbs can you test one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No sign of my UV bulb operating. Is there a way to test it with a meter? Filaments are ok.

Could be the ballast of course.

Do UV bulbs just degrade?

I did notice that sometimes it would not start and after a few switch off/on's it would start. Is this a sign of a bad ballast or bulb?

The tube looks a little smokey in colour.

Lastly, I am led to believe that not all bulbs are the same. Oase being good ones. In the UK an ebay 24w bulb is £12. Oase want £45. Will an Oase last 4 times longer or output more UV?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No sign of my UV bulb operating. Is there a way to test it with a meter? Filaments are ok.
Yes. I have a meter that tests UV but I only use it for my reptiles. I never use UV in any of my ponds.
Could be the ballast of course.

Do UV bulbs just degrade?
Yes, they wear out. Some have a life of only 6 months while others can last about a year. They slowly degrade regardless of the brand and quality.
I did notice that sometimes it would not start and after a few switch off/on's it would start. Is this a sign of a bad ballast or bulb?
Probably both.
The tube looks a little smokey in colour.
Replace it.
Lastly, I am led to believe that not all bulbs are the same. Oase being good ones. In the UK an ebay 24w bulb is £12. Oase want £45. Will an Oase last 4 times longer or output more UV?
No idea but really, why do you use UV? Your pond doesn't need it.

Ask a Question