Uv Light

Reaction score
I plan on building a skippy filter for my 3,000 gallon pond.I was wondering if anyone knows where i can get some uv lights to put in the 55 gallon drums to get rid of the algae.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
check on line, there are multiple sites to buy them from

Reaction score
lol yes Im running a jet boat.Lol i like powerful waterfalls.The pump is pumping it 10' up a hill to the weir and down 3 4' waterfalls.I was planning on hiding my skippy filter under my deck.Ive drained this pond twice so far this year,and vaccummed out all the debris and fish poop at the bottom and refilled.The water stays clear for like a week and then turns brown again.I have such a beautiful pond bit it sucks the water is so brown.The only filtration devices i have in the pond are the melta mats in the skimmer and in the waterfall wier,Im hopping the skippy filter clears up this pond.I just wanted a uv light that i could stick in the Skippy filter,almost like savio ones that are built in to the skimmer.Is there such a thing as a uv light thats not inline?Something i can just put in the 55 gallon drum,or does the water actually have to pass through the uv light?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The water has to pass by the light, Most are inline. But you can valve one off from any pumping source. It can go back to the pond if you have to much water going to the filters, you can tee off and go directly into a filter.after exposure to the UV light. The idea is to draw water from one direction and have it move after it has passed th UV light to go in the opposite direction. The water passing pass the light will kill the algae cells. There is UV sterilizier , and UV Clarifying bulbs. For good a good UV to gallon ratio guideline, figure 1 watt per 100 gallons. more or less depending on how bad the situation is versus how much your willing to spend, If your wanting a low priced, good quality look into Jebco, For the price and for the price of replacement bulbs these are decent and cheap. There are far better quality ones on the market, tetra is another good name. But I have seen a 36 watt on a 2900 gallon pond and it did a heck of a job in about 7 days. After the job was done they didn't need to run it after that. many ponders can do the same thing with plnts so weigh your options. there are some they believe in them and some that don't use them at all and get the same results.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol yes Im running a jet boat.Lol i like powerful waterfalls.The pump is pumping it 10' up a hill to the weir and down 3 4' waterfalls.I was planning on hiding my skippy filter under my deck.Ive drained this pond twice so far this year,and vaccummed out all the debris and fish poop at the bottom and refilled.The water stays clear for like a week and then turns brown again.I have such a beautiful pond bit it sucks the water is so brown.The only filtration devices i have in the pond are the melta mats in the skimmer and in the waterfall wier,Im hopping the skippy filter clears up this pond.I just wanted a uv light that i could stick in the Skippy filter,almost like savio ones that are built in to the skimmer.Is there such a thing as a uv light thats not inline?Something i can just put in the 55 gallon drum,or does the water actually have to pass through the uv light?

It is best to not drain the pond and suck all the stuff out, every time you do the pond starts over with new pond syndrome. It would be better if you could vacuum the bottom to remove any excess junk.

Reaction score
have anyone ever tried the jebo filtration system http://www.reef-aqua...ter-system.html the price doesn look to bad and suports uv.Also i was looking at the 110W UV STERILIZER from jebao and the max flow rate is only 4,400 gph,will that work with my pondmaster 6,300 gph pump?I dont really want to restrict and flow of my waterfalls,thats my biggest worry.

Reaction score
or does that maxflow rate of 4,400gph mean that the water will pass through the uv light 4,4000 gph or it can hande a pump thats up 4,000 gph?

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help. My pond is roughly 5,000 gallons and I'm using two 55 gallon drums for filters. Have an external pump pushing 10,200 gph. I like my raging water fall as well. Off the pump it is split three ways with ball valve on all three to control the flow. One goes to my filters, one thru my Aqua UV Classic - 80 Watt Clarifier/Sterilizer that then goes to the falls and the third to goes back into the pond to create a current. I bought my UV as a Sterilizer. You definitely want the water to pass by the bulb.
  • As a Sterilizer: up to 3678 GPH (2,200-4,400 gallon pond size)
  • As a Clarifier: up to 4,500 GPH (up to 9,000 gallon pond size)
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
You will need to someway run another pump as a UV light dont work well unless you have hang time so you should slow down the flow rate so the UV will have time to be efficent

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theres no need for another pump. its a very simple plumbing job to put a valve inline so it diverts water to the U.V and back into the same line...heres a simple diagram... because water naturally wants to take the path of least resistance, as you close the ballvalve the restriction in flow will divert flow thru the U.V plumbing. the more you close the ballvalve the more water is diverted to the U.V . so this allows you to adjust the flow as you desire. you could intstall a second ball valve on the plumbing to the U.V for more percise control, but this simple setup should be all the control you'd ever need.
**arrows are water flow direction.
3-4-201214132PM.jpg

Ask a Question