UV Sterilizers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
1500 to 2000 gallon pond is in full sunlight. Had problems keeping water clear this past summer. What wattage of UV sterilizer would be needed for this size pond? Does anyone have a Jebao sterilizer and how well does it work?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I think UV's are overrated.

If you've got proper fish load, adequate filtration and marginal plantings, then that's pretty well all you'll need. Water lilies are a great source of "shade", that will reduce the area of the pond that's in "full sunlight".

You're trying to "kill" a problem by throwing money at it. Figure out your underlying cause and remedy that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get a 16 watt one .I have a 9 watt and an 18 watt and only use them in the spring with a small pump that feeds just them .I got mine from topdog seller on ebay for less that 30 dollars with extra bulbs

Reaction score
1500 to 2000 gallon pond is in full sunlight. Had problems keeping water clear this past summer. What wattage of UV sterilizer would be needed for this size pond? Does anyone have a Jebao sterilizer and how well does it work?
As Morewater says there are other things you can try that might help reduce platonic algae, however a UV unit is usually the surest quickest way.
I have a 55 watt Jeboa UV and it works fine. I often get a green tinge in the spring when the water starts to warm up and the other algae and plant mater that died off during the winter breaks down and releases nutrients back into the water and the other plants in the pond haven't really started growing yet, so I'll turn my UV unit of for a week or so. The water would clear up on it's own, but it takes a little longer.
Hint: if you do get one get the 55 watt unit, they may say you can use a smaller watt unit on your pond but bigger is better and the cost isn't significantly more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The main thing you don't want to do is push a lot of water through it fast .The slower the water to them the better they work .I bought a small pump just for the uv 's and it feeds both uv's

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have a 4200 gallon in direct sunlight with a 48 watt system and the results are decent.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had an 18 watt tetra model that did great. I didn't use it last year but didn't need it due to full lily coverage. Will probably get another similar one for this coming year as mine broke early last year and u don't have the lily anymore.

Reaction score
The term UV Sterilizer or UV Clarifier are often used when talking about these things. The difference between weather they function as a sterilizer or a clarifier is mostly a function of the wattage VS how much water passes through them at a certain rate. A higher wattage will always be in a better position to do both sterilization as well as clarification then a lower watt one would be.
I noticed you used the term UV Sterilizer, perhaps all you need is UV Clarification ???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 36watt Aqua pond UV/C which has twin bulbs on our pond

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone has their own idea of a UV-C @Marie have you bought yours yet , if not you might want to look around before buying what can be an expensive piece of kit

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The cheap ones I bought work just fine .They don't need to be expensive to work .I even buy the bulbs at cll pets on ebay with free shipping .I have had several people here buy them and they are all happy .The one I have is the turbo twist ones.I bought them in the winter when they were the cheapest .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I brought in 8 Jebao UV units for the garden centre: six of them didn't work, right out of the box. Just a heads up!
John

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just bumping this thread for the OP. It's a shame to have two threads by the same op with the same question.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm not anti-UV and I do encourage it because of the beneficial side of killing some parasites and some bad bacteria but if you aren't doing enough water changes and the algae is blooming, then toss in hyacinths, duckweed and water lettuce...

That will slow down the nitrates.

Ask a Question