UV Clarifiers/Sterilizers - Opinions???

Reaction score
Hello:

I am looking at implementating a UV Clarifier to help with my green water situation. Some articles I have read indicate that they are effective at killing the suspended algae cells that cause the green water. I was wondering if anyone here is actually using one of these devices and what your experience has been with it.

Thanks!

Jason

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I use one and they work wonders, it cleared my 600 gal pond crystal clear in three days
that was a tetra pond 9 watt u.v. with a dedicated 450 gph puimp. once the water cleared i ran it on a timer for 6hours a night for a couple weeks than 4 hours a night til late august,then off. oh, the problem stated late june/early july. i believe i didnt even have to run it that long, but i just wanted to be sure. i read your other thread, and i will say barley extract is much more effective as a preventitive,than a cure. start it in the early spring,regular dosing and it will help alot.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a 20 watt uv that worked well for years,
But when i built my first 55 gal drum filter ,I turned it off,,I never had green water again..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
they are more beneficial for those of us who suffer the more severe winters where we have to about or totally shut down our filtration for three months+ and basically start fresh each spring. and dr case did use one for years as he said. and just hasnt needed it, but would he use it if needed??? i used one,it worked great, but now i built my 70 gallon skippy filter, and hopefully wont have to use mine either, but it will be hooked up,with its own dedicated pump. and only turned on if necessary.

Reaction score
I use mine in the spring until the plants get going. I clears up the winter green water and keeps it clear until the plants take over. Then I shut it down until further needed. I would not be without it. I dont have fancy filters just pondside lagoona types so they need a little help now and then.

Reaction score
I took the advice from this forum and built a filter out of a 55 gal drum. (BTW, I am a single female with no plumbing skills what-so-ever and I did it myself) I almost never have green water (a little in the beginning of the season). I can see to the bottom of my 3ft deep pond. I have never even been curious about the Uv's. Oh, I Live in Ontario and our winters are cold!!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well your just across the lake from me, meekaboo, so i should probably get away without using mine also.. but i will plumb it in and have it ready if i see any signs of green water.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i ran mine 3 days the water was crystal clear,then i ran it 6 hours anight for a week,then 4 hours anight for a few days, and turned it off, never had green water the rest of the season. i probably didnt need the partial night runnings but what the heck? but if you can run one a couple of days at the first signs,and not ever have any green water, why not?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I do run my filters almost continuosly , this year we had some cold days , and a ice storm , I was down two weeks , My filters did have to start over, my water looks great now..Still got the uv but its still in the shed

Reaction score
I never have green water. I run them till the plants get going then turn them off. they are there and ready if I happen need them. Better to be safe than sorry.

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
I have run a Tetra UV2 (18 watts) 24 hours a day from April to October for the past 3 years. It works exactly as advertised.

Reaction score
Well, apparently everyone is luckier than I am! I started my "big" pond (400 gallons, big for me going from 30 gallons) this time last year. It soon turned to pea soup. I have done and used everything there is. Algaecides, barley extract, filters, etc. I also built my own 55 gallon skippy filter. I have my pumps running continously, I even bought a UV filter. I ran the UV filter for 3 days and in made zero difference. I cannot get this green gone. I know that despite looks, my pond is very healthy. I did the spring cleaning last weekend and found I had about 15 babies! That is why it sucks to not be able to see into my pond. I am missing so much. I don't know what else to try but I am about ready to just give up after a year fight with this and tell people I am raising algae!! :goldfish: Any ideas. Also I think that warmer weather is worse than the cold winter for algae, I live in South Texas and you see my problem!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
butterflycld said:
Well, apparently everyone is luckier than I am! I started my "big" pond (400 gallons, big for me going from 30 gallons) this time last year. It soon turned to pea soup. I have done and used everything there is. Algaecides, barley extract, filters, etc. I also built my own 55 gallon skippy filter. I have my pumps running continously, I even bought a UV filter. I ran the UV filter for 3 days and in made zero difference. I cannot get this green gone. I know that despite looks, my pond is very healthy. I did the spring cleaning last weekend and found I had about 15 babies! That is why it sucks to not be able to see into my pond. I am missing so much. I don't know what else to try but I am about ready to just give up after a year fight with this and tell people I am raising algae!! :banana: Any ideas. Also I think that warmer weather is worse than the cold winter for algae, I live in South Texas and you see my problem!

Maybe you did too much. My 55 gallon Bio filter turned my pea soup into clear water 2 years ago and it is still clear today. The water needs time and the height of the 55 gallon drum to effectively remove all the green and nitrates. All this talk of other stuff is a waste of money in my opinion.
If you have it set up right, that is all you need.

Ask a Question