UV Sterilizers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
1500 to 2000 gallon pond is in full sunlight. Had problems keeping water clear this past summer. What wattage of UV sterilizer would be needed for this size pond? Does anyone have a Jebao sterilizer and how well does it work?

This is a rather late reply should you have not purchased one. Anyone whoever says UV's are not that good or work marginally, I disagree with. They must be doing something wrong. UV's have no adverse effect on a pond but rather only an upside win win. My water looks like drinking water due to the UV. If you're in a sunny spot, more so. I'm an overkill guy and money wasn't a concern so along with my Aqua 57 watt, I've added a Uvinex 50 watt to my Savio. Algae is non existent but running these properly and not too fast, you kill more than just algae. They then become capable of killing bacteria. To kill fungus or viruses they would have to run too slow but under normal circumstances, you will get a germicidal effect if done properly. These are outdoor ponds and 8 watt or20 watt units are going to be quite ineffective and not worth investing in. For a pond that size, to get results, your looking at a 50 watt.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want the truth about UV units, get it from the horse's mouth. Read what one of the leading manufacturers has to say-
http://www.atlanticwatergardens.com/university/courses/the-un-filters-401
You make the whole thing more complicated then necessary Meyer. The OP asked about the use of a uv to clear up his algae problem. The straight truth answer is a resounding YES. We don't all have time or the inclination to shoot for the perfect water conditions to totally avoid algae. You are certainly well meaning I'm sure.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You make the whole thing more complicated then necessary Meyer

Not really. Comments have been made on this thread attesting to the perceived ability of common pond UV units to kill pathogenic organisms in a pond. This, as the Atlantic Water Garden document supports, is not the case. Here is a chart of exposure levels needed to kill some common aquatic pathogens. These levels are not attainable by the average pond UV unit.
UV dose requirements 3.jpg

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
The OP did not ask about the killing of pathogens Meyer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
...UV's have no adverse effect on a pond but rather only an upside win win........

That is not right.

By killing floating algae, for example, you are making phosphorus and nitrate available for string algae, which can overwhelm a pond which is overly rich in nutrients. Excess nitrate can also be harmful to fish.

Ask a Question