Vallisneria Gigantea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I ordered a bunch of grasses from PlayItKoi.com and was surprised to see that my fish prefer the vallisneria gigantea over all of the other grasses ( sagittaria subulata, vallisneria americana, ect..) to hide in. Whenever they are not swimming about you can always find them among the long waving blades...Really pretty movement..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i tried a plant i found in a river outside of baltimore and in a short period of time has grown like a weed. i had hoped it would be an algae scrubber in the upper pond but . now worried it's growing as fact as water crest and do not want it in the pond a the taste test showed the koi didn't get excited over it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I ordered a bunch of grasses from PlayItKoi.com and was surprised to see that my fish prefer the vallisneria gigantea over all of the other grasses ( sagittaria subulata, vallisneria americana, ect..) to hide in. Whenever they are not swimming about you can always find them among the long waving blades...Really pretty movement..
I'm getting such great ideas from all your experimental plantings. Thanks for sharing. Sounds as if this plant gives baby shubies lots of hiding places.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Interesting :). How did you plant it ?
I plant small bunches in burlap squares with a few pebbles in the middle. Then I pull up the sides around the little root ball and tie jute cord around the collar. Trim off the excess and toss Anywhere in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pics with koi, but mostly of when they arrived?
I have never found the true giant, 1/2"+ wide and 3+ feet long.

Last edited:

Ask a Question