Value

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, Dave, I agree in the right locality and with the right set up a person could easily get back the cost and make enough money to pay their fish expenses. However, in the US, it seems like everyone is "raising koi", and the market is overrun with those backyard koi "breeders". Not saying anything bad about what you are wanting to do, Jenny, if that's your desire and goal, go for it!!! Just saying look at the people you will be selling to, and see if they are even willing to pay $40 for a grown koi, much less more. Seems when I look on Craigs List, there are many local people that have koi for sale for $10-25 price range. Check your local ads, and if that's the case, that MAY be the price range you will be able to sell them in. BUT, those backyard breeders may have ugly fish, and sounds like you will pick and choose your breeders, and have some beauties. Once you get your clientele established, they will tell others, and so your business will grow. Don't expect it to happen overnight, or in a year or two. If you do it right, it will happen. Keep and open mind and do your research on breeding and raising the fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's another thought. Ask breeders (like Dave above) what to expect when buying breeders as far as color and fin formations. It may be to produce certain colors, you will need genetics in both breeders (male and female) that will produce that color and fin type. And, if you don't have any clue what the background is of the fish you buy, then what are the odds of it producing it's same color and fin? Those are some questions people who breed will be able to answer, and Dave is a wealth of info. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks @CountryEscape and you're definitely right. A lot of people here are very well informed. I am going to a local fish store, who I trust with the lives of all of my fish, to ask some questions and look at what he has to offer.

Ask a Question