Value

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much would a fish like this be worth?
8.5” BLUE GHOST SHUSUI BUTTERFLY KOI
0409TUB01-210-800x800.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're right! I was in the car on my phone! Too small for these old eyes. But that really IS a gorgeous fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As Butterfly koi go this is a very nice example of one , if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for him

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
He costs 95, but I didn't buy him yet. I want to breed koi, but haven't decided what breed, and whether I want standard or butterfly. I am very fond of the shusui butterfly, but would like to know their potential value, and whether they're worth it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I guess I would. How big would you recommend them being?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I thought shusui had red bellies .... ??? That is a beautiful koi. The question, though, would I pay $95 for him? Nope. I didn't pay more than I think $26 for any of my koi. Meyer above makes a good point. If you plan to raise them to 3', you must have a grow out pond, the type that is about 1/2 acre and mud bottom. I think that's what the prize koi dealers use to grow out their fish fast and healthy and pretty vibrant colors. Our backyard ponds will grow them out, but not to that size, or at least not in a few years. To make money in koi, you probably have to have a really large set up. I have my koi for enjoyment, not to make money. Too many people in this country raising them, thinking they will make money on selling them, to find out that there is not nearly the market for them that they thought. Good luck, though, I hope you are one of the few that makes it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My farm pond is about 1 acre, and I contemplated and was approached about raising koi fry in it. There was wayyyy more work in it than I figured (keeping predators away, feeding them, etc.). Even though the supplier was going to pay for the food and the auto feeder, there was still more headache than what I wanted to deal with. I sure would love to go out and net a bunch of beauties like in your pic, though, Meyer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I thought shusui had red bellies .... ??? That is a beautiful koi. The question, though, would I pay $95 for him? Nope. I didn't pay more than I think $26 for any of my koi. Meyer above makes a good point. If you plan to raise them to 3', you must have a grow out pond, the type that is about 1/2 acre and mud bottom. I think that's what the prize koi dealers use to grow out their fish fast and healthy and pretty vibrant colors. Our backyard ponds will grow them out, but not to that size, or at least not in a few years. To make money in koi, you probably have to have a really large set up. I have my koi for enjoyment, not to make money. Too many people in this country raising them, thinking they will make money on selling them, to find out that there is not nearly the market for them that they thought. Good luck, though, I hope you are one of the few that makes it!
Acctually Country Escape until the last recession our koi funded the buying of all our books food equipment and medicines but the recession seems to now have put an end to the selling on of our koi when they get larger, will it go back to the old ways again who knows as weve never known a recession last like this one but I do hope it does as it turned our hobby into one that was in part self-perpetuating .
You dont need a large setup all you need do is to bring on those koi of yours to the best your abilities work on body shape and coloration and have a market willing to buy your fish.
Last year was the first ever we have had to gift our koi to a fish dealership friend who owns a large lake to take them on I'm hoping it will be the last but even doing it this way Country Escape I'm happy in the knowlege they have a great home (open to the public next year) to live out their remaining days in...

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A beautiful koi, but raising them is going to be a lot of work and you must be set up correctly or your investment could all be lost. The above pictures paint a pretty good picture of what is involved.

Ask a Question