wacky lionhead goldfish.

Reaction score
I have had this loinhead gf since last fall. he/she is a good eater and sometimes the first to get food. but this is a wacky fish it will lay on it's side once in awhile I found it upside down eating algae off the side of the tank today. it is more like not great control of it's fins.

DD532527-orig.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Several fantail variaties such as Lionheads, Orandas, Ryukins and Ranchus along with others that have heavy mid bodies have swim bladder issues, One thing that can help them greatly is feed sinking type pellets so they don't gulp air in as much. This is usually only temporary but has been noted to last for some fish longer than others with extreme cases having to rupture the swim bladder (using a tiny needle to precisely puncture the swim bladder to allow the gas to expel. This is rare but does happen on a limited basis.
Not that abnormal, rarely fatal.

Reaction score
ya I figured. he seems to be a healthy fish though he may be a she the way she is getting chased. found her hidden under the pump and in the parrot feather. was stuck for two or three days. not the smartest fish in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe she wanted to be stuck there for a few days to get some rest from being chased by the boys..................see she's not so stupid :regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question