Want to build an above ground pond.

Reaction score
I have a cost to power spreadsheet I use. I assumed 60 days of winter at my rate of electricty per Kilowatt. This would cost $343 US (converted from CDN) this assumes it's running 100% of the time which it shouldn't be with a thermostat. Not cheap to heat that much water. If the temp drops more than 10 degress from the target temp. Not sure what winter weather is in Florida, you may need to run it more. Worst case it runs 100% of the time. should be less than $343 for 60 days.

Reaction score
If I can get this up and running in the next few months I think ill just try throw a few different African Cichlids in there and see how they do.

Reaction score
My pond was 8' x 8' x 6' deep at it's deepest point, and I went with 20 x 20 liner. I did have a fair amount left over. That said, I'd WAY rather have too much than not enough!

I have a quick question about a heater like the one you linked - how does it work? Is it submersible? In-line? How do you connect it to a power source?

I'm considering trying to heat my pond this winter, to keep it at 55-60F. However, while I'm relatively handy with building stuff, I have zero electrical or plumbing experience or knowledge. My fish tanks are all heated, but those are simple submersible aquarium heaters, and hardly adequate for a 1600g pond outside in the winter.

Reaction score
It is an inline heater. That particular one uses 2" pvc on each side but you can get a reducer for 1.5". The only way I will able to mount it is behind the pond next to the barrel before the water enters it. I might want to insulate the barrel since that would be the first place the hot water enters. I will have to make a water tight enclosure for it since the wiring is exposed at the top.

Reaction score
Holg at 1300w and 60 days of 100% on comes to $111. That's less than 1 watt per gallon so it may not be enough to keep the temp where you want it if the outside temp drops a lot.

Chilligirl I'm not sure your measurements are correct since an 8' x 8' x 6' pond uses 8 + 6 + 6 = 20' this means you had no overlap at all? Are you sure of the dimensions since you had a lot of extra liner? Did you measure the outside versus the inside dimensions

Reaction score
I checked out my LFS and some Central and South American cichlids really caught my eye. I posted a question on a cichlid forum to narrow my search on what would be the most adaptable for temperatures. I will let you guys know what I decide and hopefully I won't have to put to much thought in heating.

Reaction score
newday3000;25731 Chilligirl I'm not sure your measurements are correct since an 8' x 8' x 6' pond uses 8 + 6 + 6 = 20' this means you had no overlap at all? Are you sure of the dimensions since you had a lot of extra liner? Did you measure the outside versus the inside dimensions[/QUOTE said:
Hmmm, you have a point. My pond measurements are accurate. The inside dimensions are *slightly* smaller, being 4" less than 8' in either direction (the diameter of one landscaping tie).

I didn't measure the liner. It was sold to me as being 20' x 20'. There was about 2 1/2' of overlap (not on every side, total in each direction).

Reaction score
I would like to find something to put between the liner and the landscape timber to insulate the pond somewhat. Couple that with a make shift cover in the winter might help considerably in the winter. Any idea?

Reaction score
you can buy the stuff they sell just for that, or use any number of things: roofing felt, old carpeting, styrofoam sheeting, etc.

I bought the stuff they sell for it, as it was only $0.15/ft, and easy to use and cut.

If you're going to be heating your pond, I'd pick up some styrofoam sheeting as well as the felt liner they sell.

Reaction score
Good news on the pond front. Home Depot has landscape timbers for $1.93. They are normally $2 more. I will probably get some of those and the rebar this week. I also found some styrofoam there that would be good for insulating and protecting the liner. It is 2'x4' sheets that come in a pack of 6 for $5.

-Blake

Reaction score
The cost to heat is the same no matter the wattage. It is going to stay on till it gets to the setpoint. A small heater will never turn off and may never get it to the desired temperatue. A large heater turns off when it gets there very quickly.

That would be true only if the heaters being used for comparison have the same effiency. While I agree what you are saying is basically correct, you left out one important aspect when comparing heaters that utilize different materials.

Ask a Question