how to build an above ground pond

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning an above ground pond out of pressured treated wood.
it will 3 feet high (from ground surface), 10 feet long and 1 feet into the ground. I need your advice on the following
  1. To increase the life of the bottom piece of wood, I want to pure in some gravel. Does that work for pond?
  2. I want to install lights inside the pond. What is the best way (from ur experience) to do it?
  3. what kind of skimmer and pumper are qualified for the size of my wishing pond..
Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Kevin

Reaction score
To increase the life of the bottom piece of wood, I want to pure in some gravel. Does that work for pond?
Two things effect wood life span, water and O2. In that San Jose clay wood will often rot thru right at ground level, while the wood further below rots much slower. Gravel could reduce water, but increase O2 so if there was a sprinkler keeping the gravel damp you might not be ahead.

There is a more standard way to greatly increase the life span of wood...use concrete block below grade and set the wood on the block. Generally a lot cheaper, easier and lasts a lot longer.

what kind of skimmer and pumper are qualified for the size of my wishing pond..
Assuming the width is similar to the 10' length any skimmer should be fine. Pump size is related to what the pond is to be used for, not so much pond size. A Water Garden with mainly plants and a couple of small fish could use any pump, or even no pump. On the other extreme if you're planning on a bunch of Koi you'd need a very large pump and filters.

Reaction score
Two things effect wood life span, water and O2. In that San Jose clay wood will often rot thru right at ground level, while the wood further below rots much slower. Gravel could reduce water, but increase O2 so if there was a sprinkler keeping the gravel damp you might not be ahead.

There is a more standard way to greatly increase the life span of wood...use concrete block below grade and set the wood on the block. Generally a lot cheaper, easier and lasts a lot longer.

Assuming the width is similar to the 10' length any skimmer should be fine. Pump size is related to what the pond is to be used for, not so much pond size. A Water Garden with mainly plants and a couple of small fish could use any pump, or even no pump. On the other extreme if you're planning on a bunch of Koi you'd need a very large pump and filters.

I like the idea of using concrete block at the bottom.
Thank u very much water bug

And have you every install light in the pond?

Reaction score
Nope, I've never installed an underwater light. From what I've seen in videos they seem self contained, you just put them where ever you want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You said your pond is 10 foot long but you don't say how wide and you don't mention the size of the wood you plan on using and how you are planning to put it together. You could be using 4x4 or 6x6 heavy timber or you might be using deck boards with 4x4 posts every 3-4 feet. Who knows?

Depending on the width of the pond, you could be looking at a lot of pressure on the sides. For one, make sure you only use Nuts & bolts in the construction. No nails or screws. Under the presssures you are probably talking about, 3 ft X 10 ft x ???? nails and screws will not hold.

If you want to really get into the calculations, you can spend a week on this thread: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...es-exerted-against-above-ground-holding-tanks....

And I still don't understand it!

But a 10 X ?? pond at 3' depth can exert a lot of pressure on a wall.

I unfortunately found out the hard way :redface: :redface: when I built my indoor 15" pond, which is about 8' x 3'.

Craig

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomewagon-15.gif
to our group! I used a large dirt berm for the down slope side of our pond. You do need to make sure what you do can handle the water pressure.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 ponds built with 2x12s and 4x4 posts set in concrete. Even with posts spaced at 2 1/2 feet the sides still bow out. Block would be the way to go but as we had a long way to the ponds and no way to transport block, opted for wood. 1st one built this way lasted 15 years and it was the liner that failed.

Reaction score
I have 2 ponds built with 2x12s and 4x4 posts set in concrete. Even with posts spaced at 2 1/2 feet the sides still bow out. Block would be the way to go but as we had a long way to the ponds and no way to transport block, opted for wood. 1st one built this way lasted 15 years and it was the liner that failed.
Hi Mrsclem

I don't understand what you are saying about Block built.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Using concrete block as a base or even completely for the walls. It seems that no matter how many support posts you put in, 2x12s will bow out with any depth of water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeautumn54.gif
momento
Make sure when you buy your underwater lights you get decent quality ones cuz I bought some at one of the box stores and the seals failed. I use them now as above water pond lights just stuck in the rocks around the edge. I guess you can seal them yourself somehow but I never bothered.

Ask a Question