Is it possible to build an above ground pond on top of a drain?

Reaction score
I was measuring where I want to keep my above ground pond in my back yard and it measures 8ft length and 6ft width but in the middle of this is the drain of my back yard the actual brickwork as in the edges of the pond will not be built on the drain but it is in the middle or so of this, will this cause any problems or not?

How big in height should I make this pond? Is 4ft okay?

Regarding also the size of this pond will this be okay to keep koi carp in or just for goldfish, shubunkins and and black moors?

Will a pond this size be considered small or average?

How much will this size pond cost for bricks and the pond liner does anyone have a rough estimate?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not really small but at least deep enough .Not sure about the drain .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If this drain actually removes excess water from your yard, placing a pond over it would defeat its purpose. Can you add to the pipe to bring the actual drain out past the pond-to-be?
John

Reaction score
Should I take a picture of my back yard so you can see yourself? The drain is in the middle of my back yard and my stairs as I live in the upstairs flat cover up a large bit of my back yard.

How many fish could this size pond keep? I do want a bigger pond but in my next flat/house... I can't have one any bigger unfortunately. :sad:

Reaction score
It is fairly small, about 1400 gallons, but with good filtration, you could have 3, maybe 4 koi ... wouldnt add anything else unless you really did something to up the filtration. If you try to go more, you will likely have water quality issues when they got big ...

Reaction score
I assume the drain is for rain runoff? In the US this is only common with commercial properties. In general the pond would/could change draining regardless and so a new grading plan would probably be needed at least for a commercial site. For residential I'd say 99% of people would just do whatever they liked and then try to fix any future problem later if they occur. There certainly are options. Could be as simple as laying a 3" pipe on the ground, one end over the drain and the other going to the edge of where the pond will be and building the pond over the pipe. You would want to pile some dirt along the edge of the pipe so it was more of a hump.

The estimate for cost in the US would be between $50 and maybe $1000 for materials. Depends on the kind of liner and brick you pick and whether you're willing to use free stuff off Craig's List.

Pond size and number of fish isn't exactly related without the third component, filters. Better the filter the more fish can survive in less water.

Reaction score
It isn't actually where the water goes into when it rains but the one like a sewer thing drain lid on top of it where work man have to get into if necessary if you know what I mean

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It doesn't sound like the kind of thing you want to cover with a pond. Can you immagine having to tear down your pond to give someone access for a repair?
John

Reaction score
Here in the US the city (owner of the sewer) would have an easement (legal access) to the sewer. If they needed access and found a pond built on top they'd bring out a backhoe and tear it down...and send the owner the bill.

Ask a Question