Water always turning green =(

Reaction score
I installed my first pond in my backyard in October of 2008 because of a catfish I acquired. The catfish Is about 10" long. I also have a waterlilly that is still in the stages of growth (the picture is a fake waterlilly with a "guide string" to the roots). I had some Lillypads growing very nicely inside but when I put them in the pond they died within 2-3 weeks. There is gravel on the bottom.

My problem is that the water always turns green with algae. Algae also forms on the sides in thick layers as well. I have used AlgaeFix with no avail and have now installed a carbon filter (homemade) with non-promising results thus far (picture is of carbon filter 3 days after installation into clean water pond with catfish).

Can anyone suggest something that may help? I have had the carbon filter running 24/7 for about 4 days now but the water is starting to turn green again. The only thing I feed my catfish are BloodWorms.

Oh yeah, I live in Southern California.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCOjogqvyzdS3_wE&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCOjogqvyzdS3_wE&feat=directlink

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Do you add bacteria? I add it every day for 14 days after cleaning my pond. I still get some algae, but I remove it as soon as I see it and am able to keep it from taking over.

Reaction score
Looks like you could do with more plants in the pond to cut down on sunlight. I would also set up a filter with some quilt batting in it, you can do that quite easily using a bucket with a hole down near the base. Fill the bucket with the batting, run the pond water into the top. You will need to rinse the batting quite often while the pond is clearing. It would also be a good idea to set up a permanent filter or the problem will just keep occurring.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Mr Canz,

I like your pictures of your pond. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures of my pond.

I had a real problem with the water getting real murky. I changed my filter often to the point of total frustration, and to no avail. After stopping and reading more posting here, I realized I needed to break down and install a UV cleaifier. The I have installed is from Lowe's for $ 79.oo, and it rated for ponds up to 1500 gallons. My water went crystal clear within a week. The UV seems to kill the algee and bacteria blume.

The only problem I see with your pond is that your filter is in your pond. My filter is in a side seservor, and the water is pumped to the water spill. The UV clearifier is inline between the water filter pump and the water spill. I'm not sure how you would install a UV clearifier. Maybe the UV clearifier could be attached inline to the top end of your water pump that pulls water out of the filter itself. The UV clearifier that I have appears to be submersable.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I used rubber tubing the same diameter as the fittings on the pump and UV clearifier, and stainless threaded clamps at each end of the tubing.

All of the items to make the connections work can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot in the plumbing section.

Ask a Question