Water change in winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all,
The temperature now is 75 degree (in December!!!) and my fish are out (except one) and the water is looking nasty shade of red again. Lots of debries in the pond and all the dead leaves. I tested the water and all came out fine (no ammonia, nitrate and nitrite)

But the water is low and dirty looking. So my question is, can I do water change now? Will that harm anything? My thought is it should be ok but what do I know?

Please advise. The weather will get to 66 tomorrow then it'll be cold again after.

Anya.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may want to get whatever is turning the water red out .It could deplete the oxygen .I would filter the water and try to net stuff .Quilt batting in a basket while you are netting the stuff out .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's the leaves do the...berry tree next to the pond (blank of what it is at the moment) I netted them out this morning, most of them anyway.

I'll start my pump and change the water...want to at least have a nice water for my fish for the winter to come.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
YEY I'm not the only one!

The water is filled, now the tea color (better than dark beer color) and the fish are very happy and very active. One is still missing and with all the noises and turbulence I was making, I presumed it dead....poor shubby...I hope I'm wrong and it comes out in spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh and I will need a better way to prevent leaves from getting to the pond next fall...I thought I had it but still got a lot of leaves in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I ran my hose today for a half an hour, which provides a partial water change. I also netted out debris, that somehow gets under my net……also netted out a dead frog:(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine gets a water change every time it rains. Right now getting a great one with the snow melt and rain we have had for two days.

Reaction score
Nepen said:
It's the leaves do the...berry tree next to the pond (blank of what it is at the moment) I netted them out this morning, most of them anyway.

I'll start my pump and change the water...want to at least have a nice water for my fish for the winter to come.
Nepen,

That sounds as though the tanins from the leaves are just discoloring your pond water, like tea leaves impart their specific color to your cup of water. If so, it is probably not a problem on its own, other than it is not aethetically pleasing, but it should not be harmful to any fish. Of course, too much of any thing is not normally good. The decaying leaves also add other items besides just the tanins, so it would be best to clean them out.

In natures's lab, these things are not cleaned up or out with a pond vac. Nature has her own way of dealing with them. And they seem to function quite well. But, in our little ponds, the ecosystem is not so functional. We need to step in and apply some other control measures.

I wanted to join in this discussion for a moment as it reminded me of a PBS series from years ago called something like "Swamp Smarts". The host brought forward all sorts of interesting and highly useful knowledge about swamps and living in the swamps. One of those items I recall is that the leaf litter from all the Cypress trees created a "tea" in the swamp and the tanins and other stuff from their decay actually purified the water to the point that it was safe for humans to consume. It created its own anti-bacterial and anti-microbial elixer in the swamp. At one point, the host dipped his big gulp mug in the swamp water and drank it on down! Citing that it was totally safe. I suppose that depends a lot on the specific swamp you are in.

He also went into the plants you can eat, those you can use for soap for bathing (that act just like bath soap and suds up) and specific leaves that when rubbed on the skin make a natural insect repellent, etc, etc, etc. It was a GREAT program to watch and I wish I could see it again, but I am not sure of the true name of the show and haven't seen it since and haven't been able to find any references to it on the net. If anyone remembers it and knows something, please make a post about it here so I can track it down.

Anyway, thought you might like this info.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Good thread. Looks like all good advice. If it was me I would probably net out the leaves etc a little more regularly but it is good to see that you are testing your water and it is not registering anything. I would not hesitate to do water changes if thats what you want to do. Out of curiosity, how much of the water did you change?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all, I did the water change, it's probably 75% water change. my fish are very happy and with the rain last night the pond got a little more topped off.

I'm running my pump and water fall right now too to get water to circulate some more. I'm going to have to turn the pump off tonight before leaving for Christmas.

Catfishnut, it was the tanin of malberry tree. it made my water almost as red as red wine so I cant see my fish that way. The thing you posted is interesting, thanks for sharing.

Anya

Ask a Question